Can I be denied surgery if I can't pay the bill?

I have an outstanding bill with the hospital that I am scheduled to have surgery at next week.
If I can not pay the outstanding bill can they deny my surgery?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Money & Work

• if its cosmetic surgery they can (like boob jobs, face lift etc. ). Buit if it is a needed surgery, then no they can't. i work at a hospital and we are trained to treat whoever walks in the door, regardless if they can pay or not.
    casd

Answer by casd at 5:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I don't see why they would do that! But these days you never know.
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• If it is ELECTIVE surgery they can and often do deny. The only surgery they would not block is that needed to save your life. You would be shocked at what constitutes 'elective' surgery.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• i owe the hoppital money from when i had my dd but i'm not paying it b/c it's for the epidural which didn not work, but they still let me see my ob with this baby & they're gonna let me have him there too
    Anonymous

• They can deny any treatment if you still owe them any money. Make payment arrangements before the surgery. If the surgery to life saving then they can't.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• If you are looking for lower costing medical check www.everyonebenefits.com/tcarter They have discount plans as low as $15 and their most expensive is only about $60 for your entire household. Some even include discounts on cosmetic procedures. There's also a spot on the site where you can look up dentisits and doctors in your area that take them. Let me know if you have any questions.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 20, 2009