Can anyone recommend any good dvd to order for my daughter that will be going to school this year to teach her to count and her alphabet? Also one that would teach my 6 yeard old to count to 100 before she goes to 1st grade.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• leap frog. but if you ask me, it should be YOU teaching your children these things, not relying on some dvd
    Anonymous

• I agree. your the mother. YOU should teach them.
    Anonymous

• excuse me but I did not say I don't teach my kids but for the times that I'm not I think watching educatioal dvds will only help I dont think its bad.
    Anonymous

• nobody said educational video's were bad. i let my kids watch them. that's the thing about CM, you need to reread what you write and might need to explain more than, example, what you wrote above so you don't get answers like these.
    Anonymous

• Children learn through many less-visible pathways than we realize - they tune into the PERSON who is interacting with them, they pick up understanding from the person's interest in the child and enjoyment of the subject. A real live voice stimulates MUCH more learning than an electronically-recreated sound.

Don't buy the promos put out there by companies with something to sell you. ... If you are feeling like YOU need guidance about teaching your child, then go ahead and get something for YOURSELF to watch. And then you can follow the steps in the program, at least until you discover what works better for YOUR child to understand.

Lots of real life & physical movement is essential - count stuff out loud with them in playful ways (remember to go backward as well as forward) Real focus on counting is only needed up to about 30. After that, it's just understanding the sequence of forty up to ninety, then 100.

For (cont'd
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• For letters, sitting and reading aloud picture books 2 or three times a day is far better than focussing on isolated & meaningless letters.

For example, once looking through books is very familiar, you can use an alphabet book to show each large capital letter with its sound.

I am Waldorf-oriented, so I used a very different approach than teaching the alphabet - I don't actually agree with pressing children to learn things which are abstract (things which are not embedded in the context of everyday life, like counting the apples in a bowl) when they are younger than 7. My kids knew very well by age 4 what 6 cherries were, but "6" as an abstract concept was not taught until after they had lost their first tooth.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Leap Frog and Baby Einstein.  You can see some letters and counting videos here.... http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom-20?node=17&page=1  You can look through the pages and see which one appeals to you and read the reviews on each.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 10:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• This isnt a DVD but an awesome website called starfall.com Check it out. There are alot of really cool websites that are fun and educational.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• The Learning Company has great software for kids; you may be able to find some of them at your local library; the least expensive will probably be on ebay.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:17 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• i would say for a dvd get anything off of noggin! the others r right, teaching kids one on one is best but i understand i have a 4 and a 5 year old. i bought my kids posters from a teachers store and put htem up. we go over them every day. my 4 year old knew what an hexagon was at 2. just make sure whatever u do is repeative
    crazymom412

Answer by crazymom412 at 2:24 AM on Jun. 25, 2009