Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if you have one c-section do you have to have future children the same way?

i had one c-section when i was 17 and now i just found out i am pregnant again and i was wondering that once you have a c-section do you have to have another


Asked by korysgirl123 at 5:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

Level 2 (10 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • You are in the Seattle Wa area correct? There is a local yahoo group with tons of current local information as well as provider and hospital options. Here is the url

    Answer by iamadoula at 5:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • not in most states. in most states it is perfectly fine to do a vbac (vaginal birth after cesarean)

    Answer by outstandingLove at 5:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • You can try to find a doctor who will perform a vbac. There is A LOT of debates about what to do and VBACs end in surgery often anyway. You should choose what you feel comfortable with. I personally would rather just go in and get sliced open after the intensely scary and unpredictable labor I had the first time.

    Answer by smarshy at 5:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • nope, you can have a vbac. although alot of docs will push you to have another c-section. unless you want one, don't let them push you

    Answer by armywife43 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • i recomend joining the group "Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth". They can help you make an informed choice.

    Answer by outstandingLove at 5:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • In some places, it has to be a certain number of years in between the two deliveries before they will do a vbac. But, in most places, it is an option under some criteria. Do the research for your area. I am sure the link posted above will be great for you considering the source. Doula's generally have a better knowledge and are aware of more current information of that type than the general public. If you feel safe doing so, adn you can find a provider that is willing to do so, don't let anyone else tell you that you have to have a c-section. Unless of course, it ends up as a medical necessity.

    Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • It really depends on finding a doctor that will support your birthing choices and also on the way you were cut. I've never had a natural birth. I've had 2 c-sections and am facing another one with the child I am now carrying because I've had them both very prematurely and rather than having a horizontal incision in my uterus, I had a vertical because of the small size of my children. Its more likely that you could tear or rupture with a vbac if you've had cesareans like I have. I would give anything for that VBAC though.

    Answer by lilmisswendy84 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

  • midwives are very pro-VBAC. you don't have to go w/ a ob/gyn. most dr's won't attempt a VBAC mainly bc they haven't been trained to do so. but, you do have an option. check out this website: don't let anyone scare you into a c/s, if that's not what you want. if you do decide to go w/ an ob/gyn, let them know up front that you want a VBAC (if that's what you decide) and that you don't want to be bullied into having a c/s again.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jun. 19, 2009