Baby spit up! opinions please!!!!

baby spit up..is there such thing as a "normal" amount after she eats!? My daughter is 6 months and spits up a few times between bottles..its not the whole bottle but enough to where its getting frustrating cleaning her and changing her all the time. She then is super happy and shows no discomfort after she eats! So another thing I want to know is shes at 6 oz right now and cries for more milk after shes done but I dont know if I should give her more since she spits up alot!!!??? please help! oh by the way her diet is for breakfast:cereal,fruit,6 oz bottle, lunch: veggie,fruit,6oz bottle,snack:6oz bottle,Dinner:cereal,veggie,6oz bottle. She has a very hearty appetite!

v_serenil

Asked by v_serenil at 5:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughters both spit up ridiculous amounts when they were ONLY on breastmilk (and fed on demand, certainly not getting too much). So it's not necessarily a sign she's getting too much. All babies spit up because their sphincter muscle isn't fully formed yet, but some more than others. If your baby's gaining properly, you shouldn't worry, though it is annoying. Mention it to your doctor; mention your baby's diet as well. My guess is she's fine, though. She does sound like she has a hearty appetite, though...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• cut back on some of the food. she's only 6 months, don't need her getting a huge appitite now for it to get bigger later. maybe just give her cereal and a bottle for breakfast instead of cereal and fruit. it's amazing how parents are just feeding their kids earlier and earlier these days. my kids didn't even eat cereal at 6 months. if she cries for more after she's done with her cereal and bottle, give her some water. sometimes that's all they need, especially if she's spitting up all the time. oh and bibs work wonders for these situations as well
    Anonymous

• My pediatrician says if the baby is spitting up that means they are getting too much. I agree with PP, cut back on what you are feeding. Remember, her tummy (as with any person) is only as big as her fist.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My first daughter spit up like the Exorcist. We had to hold her upright for about 30 min. after each feeding. I was told it was normal and not to feed her right after. My son spit up less, and my 3rd child NEVER spit up much, if any at all. Each is different.  I'd give her one meal a day, and add more formula.  Or even do cereal with fruit 2x and nothing else.  I though it was recommended to begin food at 6 months.  Ask your DR.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 6:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• That's about how my daughter ate at 6 months. I am assuming she is formula fed? Perhaps see if you switch to a gentler formula to see if that helps. My daughter had GERD and was given Zantac to help with her spit up. Hold her upright for 20 minutes after she eats as well. That helps gravity pull the food down so it less likely to come back up. The pyloric sphincter between the stomach and the esophagus is very weak in children, so if anything even touches it, most likely, there will be spit up. I would recommend discussing changing the formula and the possibility of reflux with the pediatrician.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• maybe just feed her cereal at a 6oz botttle for breakfast then at lucnh give her a veggie and bottle and dinner give her cereal......ikd really.....i have wic and they told me that the new food guide for babies is that they shoudlnt even be eating cereal till 7months i think that a lil to long......my son is 4 months and i just started him on cereal hes kinda geting the hang of it........i give him a bottle first cuz he gets really fussy then i spoon in a coupple bites of cereal i do that for breakfast and dinner
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 6:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• oh yeah and he eats 8oz every 3-4 hours
    mama2my2boys