Sterilization

I have conflicting answers.. maybe some mom's out there can help me out.. I use the Playtex Drop in bottles and I was reading the insert that came with them and it says for the type of nipples I use you only have to boil them in water to sterilize them once a week.. I asked my mom cause I have been doing it after each use..and my mom said to sterilize everything once a day but to wash with hot soapy water in between.. So which is it? Once a week, one a day, or after every use??

Faeriebrat

Asked by Faeriebrat at 5:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm sure you'll get a lot of different opinions on this one, but here's what I've got: I've read 3 books on parenting the first year and the conclusion from those sources was that the nipples needed to be sterilized once a week. In fact, two of the books I've been reading say that the sterilizing of everything every time theory is outdated and a bit of an old wives' tale & that sterilizing the bottles is unnecessary and that soap & hot water is just fine & to only sterilize the nipples. This applies to all types of bottles.

So... I bought the Medela sterilizing microwave bags. Each bag can be used 20 times and it takes 2 minutes. I find them very convenient for my weekly nipple sterilization... and for the rest of the time, I wash all the bottles and nipples in hot, soapy water. My son is just about 9 months old now and he's never been sick. I hope that helps! :-)
    IndieRockMommy

Answer by IndieRockMommy at 6:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• You really only need to sterilize them when you buy them. If you wash them in hot water or in a basket in your dishwasher that is good enough. Our digestive systems are not a sterile environment. The food you are feeding your child is not sterile- be it formula or breast milk. With my first child- I was a sterlizing junky. I used the same bottles you used- although I bought silicone nipples because they last longer than latex ones. I also used those medela bags to sterilize. I don't think you can use those bags with the latex (yellow) nipples.
    But regardless- you really don't need to do it. With my second child- I sterlized the new stuff and that was it. I might have done it one or two more times just for a good cleaning- but the dishwasher gets hot enough that you don't need to. Both of my kids were very healthy babies and are still both very healthy toddlers!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I also only sterilize them when they're new out of the package. Other than that I just wash them with hot, soapy water or stick them in the dishwasher.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2009