Does cold turkey potty training work?

3 year old, potty training resistant... day four of no diapers... getting discouraged.

AyrST81

Asked by AyrST81 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Go to panties or tighty whiteys. The pull-ups are just diapers that pull on and off. Keep at it. The kid will train. Don't give up. Get your child to help clean up the accidents. Good luck to you Mom.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 7:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• get pull-ups, then they can feel the wetness and know that they just went and be aware of what it feels like before they went etc. I nannied and had to potty train other peoples kids and thats what I had them buy and have her sit on the potty first thing in the morning and wait until she goes, even if its 30minutes or 60minutes resistent kids needmore patients. Same thing before bed and at certain points of the day
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Use plain old underwear. MY daughter did not feel the "wetness" with the pull-ups. I took her every 15-30 minutes to the bathroom. The next day when I took her to school I put her in underwear and told them that they had to take her to the bathroom every 15-30 min. I also used a sticker chart in the bathroom. She loved putting the stickers on the chart. For a bowl movement I gave her a dollar to put in her piggy bank. When she went potty I made such a "big" deal about it. Keep at it and stay positive; after all you can not force them to pee on the toilet. Pull-ups are a waist of money. Try letting your child for naked. Also I put my daughter right on the potty, not the toddler one. That way she felt like a "big" kid.
    rachel-unc

Answer by rachel-unc at 8:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• worked for my son at 2y 3m and my daughter at 19months. I went straight from diapers to underwear with pullups for naps/night.
    Anonymous

• Keep your 3 yo in Undies! Stay consisent and on top. She/He will be potty trained before long! I wouldn't do pull up during the day.. only at night and unless you are going to town, church, or something. Good Luck!
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 1:10 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• my son didn't potty train until I skipped the underwear and just used pants. Some people put dresses on their girls without undies, at home only of course,
    explain that diapers are for babies and she's just not a baby anymore. Use pull ups at night for the time being just because she isn't going to wake up to go potty if she can't do it when she's awake, ya'know what I mean?
    Keep with you a small back pack of pants,undies and socks plus wipes with you at all times. When she wets herself don't get angry, just talk about how she needs to work harder on going potty like mommy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jun. 20, 2009