If you received a rosary, you are not Catholic

would you wear it? I know Catholics don't think it is appropriate to wear a rosary as fashion. Is it disregardful to go ahead and wear the rosary since you are not Catholic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• From a Catholic point of view, rosaries are prayer tools and not jewlery. In some cultures it's acceptable to wear rosaries (as a necklace or even rosary bracelets or rings) as a sign of faith, showing devotion, to have it handy for praying, or reasons like that. So the Catholic Church doesn't say it's sacreligious to wear a rosary. However, some individual Catholics will take offense to people wearing a prayer tool as a fashion statement. They may view it as disresepectful to their faith. Personally I understand that some non-Catholics might wear a rosary respectfully. I do have problems with those who wear it disrepectfully (like wearing it with provacative clothes or as part of a gang sign or something).
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Id wear it if it matched something but thats just me...if anyone had a problem with its traditional use i would just say that it was given by a friend or whoever and I am not religious but I appreciate it as a gift.

Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• traditional use? what do you mean dom12123?
    Anonymous

• using it for prayer not just wearing it cause it looks nice....
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Wearing the rosary as a necklace to match your clothes was never the traditional use or intention of the prayer beads.
    http://gogoa.net/the_seven_day_bible_rosary_intorduction.htm
    Anonymous

• i believe catholics look toward the usage of them for prayer and reminder of faith butt im sure some have other reasons too
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 6:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I would... I think they are or at least can be beautiful.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• no...lol i worded my first iinput wrong...likeif someone had an issue with you not using it for traditional use because u wore it as a fashion piece u could just say that ur not religious and u appreciate it as a gift...LOL i totally didnt review what i put
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I'm not catholic but I was given a very nice rosary by a catholic who knew I wasn't. I wear mine and I think it's ok.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2009