I've been reading and most of the information is very conflicting... help?

I've been researching the risks/benifits of a repeat cesarian vs. a VBAC. The birth of our first child ended up being an emergency C-section and that was only 11 months ago... when this one is born it will have been 18 months since the first C-section. I've done the research and it seems like the risks are pretty much even... so I was wondering if there is any extra pain involved in a Vbac becuase of the scar or anything like that. If I try for a Vbac I will probably try to avoid getting an epidural this time... will that be harder or easier? I had 24 hours of labor the first time, but only about 3 hours of real pain and then I got the epi.... Not sure if its even making sense what I am trying to ask but ya... Does natural labor hurt more becuase of a recent C-section?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I dont see why a natural birth would hurt because of a c-section and there are other meds you can take for pain. A VBAC (from what I have been told by a friend who did one) is only 2% higher risk than a repeat C-section and her kids were 13 months apart and her doctor encouraged her to try it. I would say talk to your doctor first and see what they think
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 6:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• don't think it will matter, either way it hurts like hell lol
    Anonymous

• I havent ever had one. All my kids have been vaginal, but I am a birth doula and have been to home births were women have had them, and form what I can tell, there is no increased pain. Even in normal vaginal deliveries though pain can be increased by fear, and tension, so if you are tensed up and waiting for the real pain to begin, it is likely you will have more pain in the end. Check out I-CAN, they are awesome, and if you can go to a local meeting, definitely have support from everyone you can and let them know how much it means to you. It is my experience here that a Dr wil tell you they cant or arent comfortable doing vbac's when technically it isnt they cant but they dont have the propper insurance that allows them to, and instead of saying go to another Dr they tell you it is dangerous. Do tons of research, talk to lots of people, find a Dr or midwife you trust, and TRUST YOUR BODY! You can do this!
    Anonymous

• I don't know for sure, never had a c-section, but logically I would rather go through the big part of the pain before the baby gets here, than recover from major surgery while taking care of a newborn, and a toddler. Good luck though, I know alot of mom's prefer a section, but I would choose the vaginal way if given the option, you forget about the pain as soon as baby is born and you are up and walking soon after too.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 6:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2009