What do you think the odds are...?

Like I said earlier my due date is new years eve which would be cool...but my husband has two weeks before that off from work and I could really use the help the first couple weeks since this is number two, and I really want to be able to visit family for Christmas without being terrified about going into labor. That being said what do you think the odds are of my doctor inducing my a few weeks early...I know they take C-sections early so maybe??

Mikayla_lynn

Asked by Mikayla_lynn at 6:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ...Why would you want to risk that? Why would you want to bring your baby into the world early considering all the complications that can come from it? That's just stupid. Inductions should only be used in an emergency, not out of "convenience" when it could be harmful to your baby. That's just selfish and stupid.
    Anonymous

• I never said I would do it if the baby wasnt ready...Im not knowingly going to put my baby in danger. And obviously if the doctor thinks it would be harmful to the baby they wouldnt allow it...so your answer it pointless
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 6:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• my doctor told me she wouldn't even think about it till at least 39 weeks and even then if there is no medical reason she wouldn't induce my labor. I was measuring 3 weeks bigger than I was and they still said that the baby wasn't big enough to induce me early.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 6:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• First of all, I don't mean to sound rude, but it is kind of selfish to want to be induced for anything other than medical reasons. So many people believe that once you hit 37 weeks, the baby is fully developed and there is no reason to keep them in there any longer if you don't have to. It is not true. They have done many studies and they all have shown that there is important growing and maturing that takes place even up to the last week of pregnancy, so in my personal opinion, it is selfish to want your baby out sooner for personal reasons, rather than keep them inside like nature intends and let them be born naturally. Either way, it really depends on your doc's policies about induction. Most will only induce for medical reasons and nothing else.
    Anonymous

• Guess what? If the baby isn't coming out on it's own...

IT'S NOT READY!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• most doctors will only perform a c-section ONE week early. i have to have a planned one this time around and he assured me, one week early unless the baby needs to come sooner for some medical reason. no doctor will take the baby more than one week early just because you want them to.
    kylismomma

Answer by kylismomma at 8:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My doctor offered to induce me at 38 weeks. However, as others have noted, there have been studies showing that babies induced early for non-medical reasons tend to have more complications - if the due date was miscalculated, your baby could be earlier than you think they are, and parts may not be as fully developed as they should be yet. In a perfect world, nobody would be induced without a medical reason - even being a week overdue isn't a medical reason as long as everything's still fine.

I understand that help would be great, but not spending time in the NICU would be great too. I'm not saying that if you induce early that something will go wrong, but please educate yourself on the risks before making the decision and base it on that, rather than convenience.

In my opinion, it would also be easier to visit relatives with only one child, instead of carrying along a newborn as well!

Good luck, whatever you choose!
    PrincessZ20

Answer by PrincessZ20 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2009