names.....

what do you do when ur husband hates the name u have your heart set on?
and worse his best friend has a daughter that they gave her the middle nane leigh after my husband so my DH wants to reciprocate and while thats sweet his best friends name is the name of my most recent ex and i suggested we use his middle name instead but its reed and i am positive we are having a girl, that sounds weird with any of the names i like. well i want someone elses opinion so my name that i want is Mckenna and my other choices are Madison and Lily or some combo of those but reed does not fit in! HELP!! lol

bradynsmom222

Asked by bradynsmom222 at 6:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I think you guys need to come to a compromise. I don't think it would be fair to your hubby if you chose to name your child a name that he hated, as I don't think it is fair to you for your hubby to pick a name that you didn't like or hated. I would say keep looking for names that you BOTH like and can agree on. I know you have your heart set on a name but if the situation was reversed and you were in your DH's position, you'd be upset too if he named your child something you hated. And if you are for sure having a girl, I don't think its right to give her a boy's name just to return the favor to a friend, who is a man.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Just my opinion, but naming your child after any friend is a bad idea. What happens if you and the friend have a falling out? You're stuck with their name in your face forever! (No wonder you don't want your ex's name!)

If you absolutely have to have Reed, how about spelling it backward? McKenna Deer.....
    Anonymous

• My hubby and I hated the names the other liked. I was disparing and thought maybe just maybe she wouldn't get a name. Finally after long and hard debate we came to a name we could both live with. It wasn't either of our first or even 10th favorite, but it fits her to a tee and we don't even think of the hard time we had naming her. Baby Kira Christine is 19 months old now. Good luck.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2009