What can I do for my 5month old?

My 5 month old has caught the cold going around my household. What can I give him to help aleviate his suffering? Is he to young to give children's motrin?

usmc0351wife

Asked by usmc0351wife at 6:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yep, too young for motrin, but tylonal is fine
    Anonymous

• call your doc or pharmacist. Either one can tell you yes or no and how much. try the pharmacist first
    casd

Answer by casd at 6:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• He is too young for any kind of cold medicine. Only give him Motrin if its the infant kind and it really wont do anything unless he has a fever. The best thing to do would be to use a humidifier and keep his nose cleaned oout.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 6:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Dont give infants any kind of cold medicine. if he has a fever he is not too young for children's motrin. You have to alter the dose, though. It goes by weight:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T088900.asp

I've used it a couple of times on DD and she is an infant. that is the best link available. DD was 14 lbs then so she got around 1/2 tsp or 2.5 mL.. I hope that helps.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2009