Do you listen to music when you're alone that you won't listen to when you kids are with you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope, I listen to the music I want to listen even when my kid is around.
    geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Definetley. Some music is just inappropriate for children, I save that music for when I am in the car with out my son. He's only 14 months old but it's better to get in the habbit now.
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Oh yeah, I rarely listen to music in the car with my child. I like to be able to hear her playing in the back seat. But when I'm alone I like to listen to all sorts of music that I wouldn't let a baby or child listen to.... not that it's "bad" music, just not age appropriate.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 7:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• There are some songs I just don't feel are appropriate. Just because I have children means I have to monitor my own music, as well. I listen to what I want when I'm alone, and take their age and maturity into consideration to determine what they can hear.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I don't censor music. If it's ok for me to listen to, then it's ok for my daughter to listen to. I moslty listen to country, soft rock and funk music from the 70's and 80's...pretty harmless stuff for the most part...
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I am with Fallaya, I don't censor my music or my DD. I have explained to her about bad words, and why they are bad, She knows she isn't supposed to say them. I am very open with my DD. She is 8 now, but I have always been open with her. She knows she can ask me anything, so if she hears something in a song that she thinks might be wrong, she will ask.
    luna124

Answer by luna124 at 9:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Nothing I listen to needs to be censored for kids so no I don't, but if I enjoyed music that had swear words or other topics the kids shouldn't hear about then most definitely I would censor it. Personally in the care we don't listen to much music because I like to be able to hear the kids in the back seat.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:23 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• The music I enjoy is family-friendly! But if I tended to like more risque music I wouldn't listen to songs with inappropriate lyrics around my kids. Who needs them asking what things mean or singing out loud in front of other parents.....Who even needs some of those topics brought up before the child can really understand..... But those issues don't come up with the music I listen to!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:22 AM on Jun. 19, 2009