How to teach my son to talk?

He is 12 months and only says mama, dada, baby, hey, & hi, but he won't say them all the time. I want to be able to extend his vocabulary. When I try reading to him he just takes the book out of my hands and throws it. Any suggestions?

prettyNpink0769

Asked by prettyNpink0769 at 8:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just talk. he's only 1, his vocab sounds fine right now. just talk to him like normal, not like he's a baby. he'll get it
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• At his age you need to direct his attention at the book, dont worry so much about the actual words, just say things like "where is that turtle, there he is, he's green. silly green turtle" etc....keep on pointing.

Also ask him questions "do you see that doggie, is he funny and brown? good job.

Keep it short, simple, and often

It took me forever before my dd would let me read to her, now I could read to her from 8am to 8 pm no breaks. lol

He is still young mom, he sounds on track with his language, just keep talking and reading and be patient it may take some time to love reading but its very worth it.

I am a teacher, and reading can help a child love to learn!!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My son is two now and speaks in five word sentences. He was doing the same thing as your son when he was one.
    I just talked to him all the time about everything. No matter where we were, I spoke in a regular voice with NO baby talk. Walking through the store, I'd point at things and talk about them, etc.

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:12 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• lol my son takes the book from me && either throws it or tries to eat it. So as far as reading to him, I'm in the same boat as you. But he likes to point at things && everytime he does I tell him what it is. I say it 2 or 3 times really slowly. Or everytime I hand him something, I tell him what it is. he has picked up on a lot just from me doing that. So I guess my advice is just to tell him what things are in everyday life, he will start talking before you know it.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 8:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Just talk. They will learn from example.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• For a 1 yo. he seems right on track. They make amazing leaps and bounds in vocabulary between 12-18 and 18-24 months.

Talk to your child often, read books for fun, he can probably sense that you want something out of him that he cannot give, so he may dislike reading.

Point out everything, describe it to him. Go on walks or when you're running errands and ask him questions and answer them.

Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• all these answers here are right on it! Yea, I didn't use much 'baby talk' w/my DS and I point to everything and tell him what it is like specifics too. It works! Just continue reading 'cos he's listening even if he knocks the book outta your hand just put it down and catch him later for a reading. Believe me, I kept on it and he really says his words clear now, he's 21/2. Keep up the good work! Good Luck!
    MaMas06

Answer by MaMas06 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2009