Baby food and my baby!

I've been feeding my child Cereal in his bottle since he was born, the doctor told me this is okay to do. My doctor also told me that i can start feeding him baby food between 3 -4 months old, he is now 3 months old and loves the baby food, however he is eating about 2.5 oz of a vegetable and 3.5 oz of a fruit for a total of 7 oz per meal and eating 2-3 oz of formula per meal for a grand toal of 9 - 10 ounces. I am going to continue feeding my child the baby food but i don't know if i should feed him less food and mix a bottle in or if the baby food with the 3 oz of formula is going to be okay. He eats about every 5 -6 hours and his bowles seem to be doing good. He was 8 lbs 9 oz at birth and he is now about 16 lbs at age 3 months and one week. I just need some imput to make sure i'm doing okay, or some advice. thank you.

Bluesdawg02

Asked by Bluesdawg02 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Food & Drink

• maybe give him less baby food. he needs the nurishment from the formula untill hes is about 6 months. maybe talk to the dr and see what he/she says.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 8:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Didnt I just answer you on the other post before you deleted it, the advice is still the same, sorry but not gonna retype the same responce to you, not being bitchy but google how much formula and baby food a baby that age should be eating, or talk to your Dr, since he knows what he is doing...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• YOU NEED TO FEED HIM MORE FORUMLA AND LESS FOOD. HE SHOULD BE EATING 28-34OZ OF FORUMLA A DAY. ANOTHER THING CONTACT ANOTHER DOCTOR. I HAVE 4 CHILDREN AND NONE OF THEM HAVE BEEN ON FOOD EXCEPT CEREAL UNTIL THEY WERE 6-8 MONTHS OLD. I WOULD JUST CHECK IT OUT WITH ANOTHER DOCTOR.
    Anonymous

• Wow, our doctors are on totally different pages here. Both my kids were on breast milk only untill 6 months and I was told cereal in a bottle was not only a choking hazard, but also unnecessary filler. Plus at 3 months I wonder if he should be eating more often than every 5-6 hours, again my doctor told me that babies need to maintain a constant calorie and fat intake which is more like every 3-4 hours of breast milk. So sorry, I am totaly useless to you.
    missv66

Answer by missv66 at 8:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Missv66 I really think that this mommy has not a clue what her child needs and she needs to be googleing info. Also she needs parenting classes also.
    Anonymous

• If the Doctor told you this was ok, you need a new one because he is really old and not current with the latest research that has been out for years. Or she is not telling the Dr how much food she is really giving him and the lack of formula.
    Anonymous

• Let's start with: most doctors know very little about nutrition and yours knows nothing. Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard, and solids too early can cause healh issues down the road.
    I would go to only formula (or, if you can relactate, breastmilk) until baby is six months old.
    Understand that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition. Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com