Pediatrician vs Family Dr

i have 4 kids (6, 4, 2 and 3mo's)... I've always had them seen by a Ped... but recently our health coverage changed and hubby and I needed to find a new Dr... raised the question whether we should also change the kids Dr's to the same one we'd be seeing: a Family Dr.

Peds usually see kids form 0-18 or 21 yrs... Family Dr's 0-death, lol

Do your kids have a Ped or family dr.. and what do you like about it... what really is the difference when it comes to treating kids...is one beter than the other?

mommy-2-3

Asked by mommy-2-3 at 8:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Mine is a family doctor. But she has 2 kids around my 4 year old's age. I personally like her because of the convenience, one dr for all of us. However, I'm sure some will debate that a ped will be more children focused.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Family doctor! My husband, daughter and I; my sister and her family; and several friends all see the same doctor. My 13 year old has only seen a family doctor.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My son has a pediatrician and has since he was a year old. He will be 13 in July and wants to stop seeing a kid doctor, so I will be switching him soon.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• family doc, it's great cause i can be seen at the same time as the kids.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• We see a family doc here. We delay vaccinations until the age of 2 and have yet to find a ped that was okay with that, but our family doc is fine with it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:19 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• We go to a family doctor, my kids have the doctor that also attended their birth so in my case its truly from birth! I love having a doctor that knows my whole family and i don't see a need to go to a specialist for normal care.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:01 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I switched my kids from the family doctor to the ped last summer. It was the BEST thing I did. The hours are better, they always take my kids the day I call, and they have night owl hours for sick visits that require no appt. This all, but ended ER visits for ear infections and such. It may sound good to all see a family doc, but I'd check their policies for sick visits, hours, and how they handle emergencies for kids on the weekends.  I was slow to change, but really feel it better suits the kids needs overall.  Yes, we see different docs, but I don't care that we do because our needs are met.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:23 AM on Jun. 19, 2009