Has anyone used YOUR BABY CAN READ?

bella021

Asked by bella021 at 8:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I saw the infomercial for this. I was curious too. Does it work????
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• How NUTS that I was JUST thinking about this today!!!!!!! Lol. I find it impossible, especially since some of those kids are like under 1. BUT, the commercial does make it seem as though it works.

Anyone try it???
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 9:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• lol, I don't know, that's why i am asking. I want to try it, but I dont want to buy it ,if doesnt work. tooo expensive for just an idea.
    bella021

Answer by bella021 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Do a search on this site for that topic. It's asked at least once a week.

This is NOT a good program. It teaches babies to recognize what a few words look like. That is not reading. It is memorization. There is a huge difference.

Why not give your kid this "head start"? Because children who learn to "sight read" first generally do worse in school than kids who learn "phonics" first. This program teaches babies that the way to learn to read is to memorize what each word looks like. That's fine if you are teaching Chinese. But your child is trying to learn English - a phonetic language.

Save yourself the money. Do your child a huge favor. Use a tiny bit of that money to buy a few alphabet books. Teach him his letters. Then the sounds they make. Then how to put those together to make words. Teach him to READ.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I asked that question before and got some bad replies...some say its bull ****, just read to your baby and learn with 'em.. some say babies just memorise whats on the card , but they don't actually read it.....IDK

Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My daughter has been watching for about a month and a half and it seems like shes been trying to say to words a lot lately. She also claps when they say clap and they sing songs and stuff and as soon as she hear "If Your Happy And You Know It" song she gets ready to clap its so cute. She also loves the "Head and Shoulders" song she pats her head when they say head! I def. think its working I just wish I found out about it sooner because they say its best to start young. Also I just wanna say I didn't buy the program I downloaded it offline using torrents and made my own flash cards.
    oxojen178oxo

Answer by oxojen178oxo at 9:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• my 4 yo baby able to master and read the alphabet at 15 months..she could identify colors and shapes, sings,counts at age 2..she could spell and write her and our names at age 3. Now at age 4 we are into reading. and just learned the phonetics thru www.startfall.com. Since she was only 6 months old i started exposing her to books and musics.I played DVD of Barney and Dora and only plays Educational toys like Leaf Frog and Vtech which help enhance brain development.
    jayzs

Answer by jayzs at 11:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• my daughter was speaking in complete sentences by 18 months, reading and tying her shoes at four and reading chapter books at five. she went to a mediocre preschool that was convenient. we read and played and didn't worry about what she knew or when she knew it. we did label everything in the house (ie: DOOR WINDOW) read to her often and talked to her constantly. No electronics and very limited TV.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I agree, there is no substitute for learning with your child, and I also agree that this program doesn't teach your baby phonetics, just memorizing how words look.

My daughter is 2 now but also started speaking in full sentences at about 18 months, and I never did any sort of gimmicky program with her. We just talk and read ans spend quality time together.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 4:07 PM on Jun. 20, 2009