Any other mommy's notice this behaviour??

My son just turned 1, and for the past week...he's been a handful to say the least! I can't believe how much he's changed with his behavior. He has started hitting me, and getting into everything he knows he's not supposed to, and when he does it I say NO..and he STILL does it, over and over and over! Also when he wants something he can't have, I say NO and he throws a tantrum, it doesn't last too long, but he cry's hard and then goes back to trying to do what he was NOT allowed to do! Has anyone else noticed this type of defiance around this age?? Is this the age it start's?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I was one I walked up to my Mom and slapped her straight in the face. Then laughed, thought it was hilarious. She asked me if I wanted to play the slapping game and I said yes. So she slapped me straight back on the face. Needless to say I never wanted to play this game again and sat back down in my chair. I dont condone this type of punishment but obviously the "no" is not working so maybe try something different. Some kids just dont respond to this.

have you tried reasoning with him or even having YES touches and NO touches. The NO touches you need to keep out of reach until he can control himself better but the YES touches are accessible. Is he getting enough sleep?
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 10:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Sounds like the terrible two visited early. My son was great at 2, but the minute he hit 3 he lost his sanity and mine was close behind. He's pushing limits and testing boundaries. Good Luck
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• yeah my baby girl is turning one this Saturday and it seems like shes been having a lot of tantrums and getting into everything..she even laughs when I say NO lol and it makes it hard to keep a straight face cuz shes soo damn cute lol
    oxojen178oxo

Answer by oxojen178oxo at 9:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• YES, he laughs when I said NO...it's terrible!! cause I want him to know I mean business, but he thinks it's funny when I raise my voice and say " NO" I think my sanity is going and FAST!
    Anonymous

• oh that's when i just pop him and say "you think i'm playin??"
    Anonymous

• Let me try to reassure you here. First, all kids are different. The crying when you remove something. Totally normal. Some kids are easily diverted others are not. If you are child is not easily redirected into another activity try taking him outside to totally change the scenary. Do your best to change his mindset on what it was he was upset about. The hitting... well this gets mommy's attention as I am sure you know. It is great that you are firmly saying no. Then redirect, just like the tantrum issue. When he realizes that mommy is not entertaining the hitting attention he wants he will stop the behavior. Please do not think that this is defiance or naughty behavior. They don't comprehend that at this age. All they know is "Ohhh that got her attention and it was fun" They don't understand right from wrong. All you can do is redirect in a positive approach so the new activity outways the negative behavior.
    lovemyboysx2

Answer by lovemyboysx2 at 9:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My son is 11 months old and he also just started acting that way, but he bites also...I am at the end of my rope and I dont know what to do....I started trying 2 minute time outs in his crib...so far they haven't worked
    logansmommy711

Answer by logansmommy711 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• YEP! My 1 year old ds does the same thing......just laughs when I say no! He will arch his back and scream and cry and you cant put him down because he arches his back to the point where, he cant stand or sit or lay. its crazy! I am right there with ya.....I am sure it will only get worse. God help us all!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 9:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I have a ten month old in this stage, I have no advice - but you aren't alone! Lol
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 9:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• yep, dd will be one the 27th, and has been acting that way the past month or so. and she bites!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2009