who's at fault?

long story short: a friend let my sister borrow her car, but told her not to let her bf drive it. well, the bf was driving it one day, with a friend of his in the car, and at a red light, got shot at. his friend got shot 3 times, him none. (no idea if he' s ok, i don't know him) well, the car was impounded, they didn't tell the owner of the car, she had to find out through someone else. she went and got the car from impound, thankfully they let her get the car without paying, cuz she had no idea until that day. she was so mad, she gave the car away to someone else, and didn't even think about the stuff that was in the car that belonged to my sis's bf. so the guy she gave it to just threw the stuff away. now the bf and sis is mad. the bf said he's taking her to court. could the car owner get in trouble? (he's already been to court alot for countless driving offenses, ie. car accidents, speeding, ect.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• oh, she didn't let someone else borrow the car, she gave it to him. she was going to sell it, but now that there are bullet holes in it, she said there was no use in tryin.
    Anonymous

• It may be different in different areas, but I believe the owner of the car is liable.

Answer by Bmat at 9:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• He could take her to court, but a) possession is 9/10ths of the law. B) he wasn't allowed to drive the car, per the car owner. C) HE got the car impounded. I'd imagine he'd lose. I know for a FACT Judge Judy would laugh at him........LOL.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Liable for damage done by someone driving their car. And also her insurance may not cover others driving it. About the lawsuit, unless the items were thousands of dollars, maybe it wouldn't be worth his while. I don't know how a small claims judge would rule.

Answer by Bmat at 9:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• This is a tough one because my sister was in a situation like this but where her friend took her car without permission. It ended up like my sisters word against hers so it ended up being a "no fault" situation. In this case, I don't know how it will work out for your sis.
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 9:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• tell her to counter sue for the damage done to the car first off all she has the right to press charges against him for driving.. unauthorzied use of a motor vechile. That dude is gonna lose and have to pay court cost. What a dumbass.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 9:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• So your sister let the her boyfriend drive it even though her friend said NOT TO let him drive it? Wow, and he has the nerve to cry about the stuff that was left in there by the person who wasn't supposed to be driving and managed to get it shot up. This is the one thing I hate...Frivilous lawsuits.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2009