How do you get your kids to do chores?

I have three children ages 13,11 and soon to be nine.I'm having a hard time getting them to do things around the house. They say it's because they don't get allowance but i'm not sure what all they should be doing at their ages and how much I should be paying them. I need to find a chart system to keep track of who does what each week so I know who gets allowance. If anyone has any idea's to help me please let me know. Thanks

Angel31463

Asked by Angel31463 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• You just have to be clear about what your expectations are...it may be that you are not clear in your own mind and that is why they are not responding. I don't mean that as a critcism but just as a starting point. There are many different "right" ways to do it...not just one right way. So figure out what works for you. Honestly, my opinion is that allowances and chores are two separate things....kids don't need to be paid for pitching in around the house, but they do need to do it, and they also need to have some kind of a budget so they can learn to manage their money and prioritize. When it comes to chores, my opinion is to keep it simple and age-appropriate, and then be consistent! Don't make it harder than it has to be....it is just about teaching responsibility and it should be an appropriate amount! Again, think about how you honestly want it to be.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I have three girls 10, 6, & 2 ( i also have a new born boy)
    it is simple if they don't do their chores they get zero privileges- no tv, no outside, no phone etc..
    they don't get paid for daily chores only ones that are not normally their job.
    whatever you decide stick with it.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:22 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I have three grown children. I was a single mom. The rule was if you don't work (do chores) then you don't eat. I never had a problem getting them to do chores. I allowed them to choose their chores but everyone pitched in.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• i have my 10 year old daughter whom i trained doing household chores as early as 3yo.At that very young age i taught her cleaning her room and keeping her toys in proper places.Now she does the washing of dishes, sweeping and dusting and gardening everyday without receiving any allowances. though I give rewards whenever she does good in school. It is important to teach our kids to be responsible at young age. . now i am doing the same to my 4yo kid.She helps us in the garden by watering plants...kids learn little thing little by little...
    jayzs

Answer by jayzs at 9:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My boys are 9 and 11

. We have a rule, If you want to eat you work. we are a family and we have to work together.

Once I refused to fix dinner, They did not feel like doing chores., so I did not feel like cooking.

(not to worry, the did get to eat toast and water. They did not starve.}

I also do chore lists, and rewards for good work..

We have on going discussions about the importance of cleaning and developing good habits for when they have to take care of their own place..

mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I also have 4 kids ages 9, 6, 3, and 11 months. My oldest 2 empty the dishwasher, takeout the trash and recycling, put there own clothes away, clean the downstairs bathroom, pick up their toys from the living room, clean their own rooms, pick up dog poo, feed the dog, pick up their own meal plates, wipe down the table and chairs, water the outdoor plants and grass, vacuum, and my oldest has just started making easy meals like PB&J. My 3 year old also helps with many of those chores (the ones that have to do with her like her clothes and room and basics like recycling and picking up toys from the living room). They do not get an allowance for these chores because we are a family and everyone needs to chip in. I wash their clothes, dishes, make their meals, let their friends come over (up to 12 children have been know to be playing somewhere on my property LOL), and of course oversee their work and "fix" it behind them. LOL
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• YEAH HOW DO YOU GET THEM TO DO CHORES?

My kids did what they were told. I never gave them much more than they could handle, keep their stuff where it belonged, and help keep the place clean.

But my grandbaby, who used to help about 5 yrs old, now refuses to do anything, or says she'll do it later, and never gets done! I am a grandmother/mother of a 9 yr old, and she won't budge, I think I am too old to be a mother again, neverthesess, I know she will grow before I know, and then it will be me and me to do everything, so I let stuff slide, have never been able to be harsh with her!
    Madrepor2ndavez

Answer by Madrepor2ndavez at 12:45 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I ran out of room and forgot... they do what I tell them because they know it is the only way to do anything. There is no T.V., friends, bikes, video games, etc. until they finish what I told them to do. Rooms are daily, but the other stuff is not. Consistency is key. Allowance or not, rewards or not, you need to do the same thing all the time.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 1:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• When they start paying you for chores (laundry, cooking, etc.), then you can start paying them, ok?
    My 13 year old is in a extremely intense academic program. It is a six year high school program; 3 hours of homework a night is pretty standard, and 8 hours on the weekends is not unusual, so during the school year her only chores are putting away her clothes and emptying the dishwasher; she also babysits most Saturday nights (Red Cross certified) and volunteers two days a week at the afterschool program she attended. During the summer she is also expected to clean the bathroom once a week and fold and bring up all of the clean laundry.
    If her chores are not done, she does not get to leave the house, use the computer, watch TV or talk on the phone.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:31 AM on Jun. 19, 2009