Honestly...If you found $100 on the ground in a public area would you try to find the owner and return it?

My sister found $100 on the ground in a public area looked around saw nobody and kept it. Now, I feel that she should have checked to see if anyone reported loosing any amount of money. I really would. Cause you never know, it isn't yours and it could have been a little kids savings that he was going to buy something he had been saving for. Or a single moms, or an old man, or somebody who just got laid off. It isn't yours you wouldn't be any worse off without it. I am dissapointed in my sis. She is having financial difficulties as her husband just lost his job, but what if she never found it anyway.? What would you do?

theboysmom311

Asked by theboysmom311 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in About CafeMom

• how would you do that? come up to a stranger and ask did you loose a $100? anyone can just say "yes"
    Anonymous

• I am the kind of person whom would look for the owner and see if anyone lost it, but i've also lost money and no one returned it to me. I believe in god and honestly say that maybe the person that had it didn't need it or they obviously didn't need it enough to pay attention to losing it, god works in mysterious ways and well maybe it was to help her out.
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• In this paticular location there was a information booth. I suggested that she call and ask if anyone reported loosing any amount of money? If they said Yes, ask how much>if they said a wad equalling $100 give it back. If they said No, give it a couple days ask again if nothing keep it or donate it.
    theboysmom311

Answer by theboysmom311 at 9:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• ask me that a few years ago and i'd say yes. now, no. a few friends of mine found $250 in a store and asked the guy at the register if he saw anyone drop this. he said he thought he knew whos it was, and like idiots we gave it to him. after we walked away we saw him pocket it. what idiots we were! lol. now, if i SAW who dropped it, i'd give it back.
    Anonymous

• One time my hubby just cashed his paycheck and I had it in my purse. For some stupid reason my kids convinced me to go to this corn maze and I took my purse with me. DUMB! I sat my purse down on a bale of hay and forgot it. Then I went to pay for a hot coco at the end and realized I lost my purse in the maze. This 12-14 yr. old kid ran through the maze and found and returned my purse. Thank God. I had $800 in it.
    theboysmom311

Answer by theboysmom311 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Not sure, I would probably turn it in at the information desk that way if anyone reported it missing they could find it there. And if the person working there pocketed it, well that would be on them, at least my conscience would be clear.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• You know what! It's definitely a bummer to lose money. Ha! I once lost a hundred dollar bill at a concert. It really does stink, but what can you do. I guess you COULD notify someone but I wouldn't hold my breath to hear anything back. In my situation I just looked at it as another life lesson & hoped that whoever it was that found it, needed it more than I did!
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 9:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• If there was any hope of finding the owner, yes I would.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• If I saw who dropped it I would give it back!! I was an assistant at a restaurant and saw a teenager drop a $50 bill.... I grabbed it ran up and gave it to him. He was SO greatful I actually got a reward. My hubby was upset but with how relieved that boy looked I am glad I did it! If I just found it in a public area and saw nobody drop it, I would keep it.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• If I actually saw someone drop it, of course I would go up to them and give it back...but as far as finding the owner if I didn't see anyone drop it, I really don't know how that would work. Going up to a bunch of random people asking them if they dropped $100 would only result in probably a lot of them saying yes even though it isn't true.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2009