18 months?

My son is 18 months, 19 on the 13th and he only says about 14 or 15 words. He knows his ears, nose, eyes, hair, mouth, fingers, toes, bellybutton, and what we call his "pee-pee", knows what sound a car makes and understands when we tell him to do something like throwing something in the trash. I was just wondering if he's on track along with other kids his age. How many words are/were your toddlers saying at this age?

bassyentihw

Asked by bassyentihw at 9:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I can't remember my first to exactly.. But my now 16 month old says mommy, daay, cat and her name emma, dog choo choo, I want that, hold me, pick me up, no, yes , ball, car, and repeats random words you say. He also understands when we give him a dirrection. I think he is early in doing these things and my ped said that I was wrong that b/c he has older bros he's right on track.. So I'm guessing that your son is right on track as well. Haiden also knows his ears and eyes and toes. But those are the only body part, except "boobies" lol He was breastfed..
    honeychick772

Answer by honeychick772 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My daughter is about where your son is but she can say things like, "Daddy you home?" "I love you" (that sounds a little mumbled because she is young) and some other phrases as well...
    Your son is on track. Buy some flash cards with the alphabet and pictures, shapes, colors and work with him for a few minutes a day. It is fun for him and you will be surprised at how fast he picks things up. Don't worry about what everyone elses child does. I know you want your child to succeed and be like every one else but he will succeed on his own. I'm not bashing, but as a mother who did this with her first child (also a boy) I have learned to let him progress at his own pace. I do a learning block with my two who are 3 years and 19 months for 30-35 minutes a day. I have 3 sets of flash cards. and we have an activity block for up to an hour. they color, paint, what ever they want to do. Just be creative and fun with learning. Good Luck.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My daughter is 19 months and actually, a couple days ago she just started spouting out more words! Now I think she says about 25-30? She also knows eyes/ears/etc and shapes, some colors, and can count to five. She doesn't say them but if I say grab the yellow one, or where is the triangle she knows what I'm talking about. Some kids are slower at talking. My daughter understands very well (like your son sounds) but she just doesn't have the proper dialogue going on in my house to get her saying much more. When I take her out she says more but when we stay home she says less. My hubby is deployed and when he came back on leave it was fine but when he left, the stress caused her to stop talking.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I don't understand why you don't teach him the word penis? By giving it a made up name, you are treating the real name as something embarassing or shameful. Children should be taught the correct names for body parts and bodily functions.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2009