Dermatitis

My 14 month old has terrible dermatitis on the backs of her knees and whenever i have asked the doctor about it in the past they just told me she would grow out of it, but she hasnt yet. i have tried everything (Baby lotion, vaseline, aveeno...) to help it but nothing seems to work. anyone else have a suggestion of something they've tried? FYI: dermatitis runs in our family so i dont think she will ever grow out of it, i have it on my arms and i got it all over when i was pregnant with her. i'm just trying to find something that might help it. Thanks!!

hihowareyou22

Asked by hihowareyou22 at 9:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well, i use prescription strength stuff when mine gets bad but i havent had it get really red or itchy in years, its pretty dormant now. i'm just really nervous about using my prescription on her..... mine is a prescription strength hydrocortisone cream
    hihowareyou22

Answer by hihowareyou22 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• So, if you have it, what do you do to relieve the itching and whatnot? Does it not work on her?
    Since dermatitis is a form of eczema, there is a body wash and lotion for infants/toddlers out there.. I'm pretty sure they make one for Cradle Cap as well...
    http://www.gentlenaturals.com/products/eczema_cream.cfm

You might try that?
    I know my friend's little girl had a bad rash and the pediatrician gave her a little sample, and it worked. Since Aveeno doesn't seem to work, worth a shot?
    I hope she gets to feeling better soon, and being itch free. :]
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 10:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• thanks so much this looks like something i will definitely try!
    hihowareyou22

Answer by hihowareyou22 at 10:05 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Whoops, I deleted my answer so I can reword it better, and so I didn't seem like a complete douchebag.
    Also. I would probably get a second opinion about her dermatitis if her current doc isn't doing anything.
    They may be able to prescribe an ointment like Elidel or Protopic. Protopic is a little stronger, but Elidel, I've heard, works very well.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 10:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• ya i had a patch of dermatitis on my chin and they gave me elidel for that and it worked great, they gave it to me because its milder than my regular cream since it was for my face. i will deifintely ask.
    hihowareyou22

Answer by hihowareyou22 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• You could try organic raw virgin coconut oil on the skin, and only baking soda to clean with in the tub (rinse thoroughly). It helped my son a LOT, but he didn't have genes against him. It wouldn't hurt to try.
    Llamatron

Answer by Llamatron at 2:23 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I second the vote for coconut oil, and I would also try eliminating dairy. Here is a great article on calcium, if you are concerned: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 1:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2009