will this hurt the baby?

if early in your pregnancy-before you find out that you are pregnant (like first 2 or 3 weeks) to drink alcohol? i know that early development is when the heart, brain, etc. form so it seems like a very crucial time. if you drink in the first month or so, is there a chance that it can do damage to the baby's development?
i know this sounds stupid but i have been drinking and have been using protection so i didnt think there was a chance of me being pregnant. now after seeing all the symptoms and the dr ordering a blood test because he thinks i am, im worried. please no bashing-i really had no idea there was even a chance and i really dont need it.

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No worries at all. There are so many women who do not know they are pregnant early on and drink or what not. As long as 3 months! If you need a blood test to determine if you are pregnant than you are very early. Just quit for now while you are waiting on the results if you are worried. Right now the alcohol isn't going to effect anything.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• in my experience, when I turned 21 my best friend threw me a party at my home and we did shots. I did maybe 3 or 4 and I had a beer. I got pretty drunk. I did not know I was pregnant because I was on birth control. I had a miscarriage at 20 weeks but my doctor said it was probably not due to that because at that time I was only 2 weeks along. but there is a chance....there is never NOT a chance of harm coming to a developing fetus if alcohol, tobacco or drugs are involved. NOT BASHING....but the chance is small. You still have a great chance that the baby will be completely healthy. I read somewhere and saw it on discovery health channel that 85% of women drink during the first couple of weeks of pregnancy and not know they are pregnant and their babies turn out just fine and healthy. THIS IS NOT GIVING A FREE PASS FOR ANYONE READING THIS TO GO OUT AND PARTY WHILE PREGNANT!!!! just to make myself clear. GOOD LUCK DEAR!!
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I rarely drink but in the couple of weeks between when I conceived my son & when I found out I was pregnant, I shared a couple of bottles of wine with some friends & had a couple beers with DH (I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but that was the first I alcohol I had had in over 6 months). I was terrified that I had hurt the baby before I even knew he existed. Well, my baby is 6 now & perfectly healthy. I would never recommend any drinking during pregnancy but sometimes things turn out perfectly even when you do something harmful unintentionally. Best of luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• i drank myself to the point of intoxication at least three times before i knew i was pregnant, i'm now at 20 weeks and my baby is growing and developing right on schedule. there's nothing you can do about it and i honestly don't think it will hurt anything. i was at a wine bar with my mom for lunch and the freaking bartender tried to serve me KNOWING i was pregnant. thats another story though.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I think there is a possibility, but your chances of having a normal healthy baby is much better than not. I used to have a friend that drank, until she found out she was pregnant, she had a healthy baby.
    Princess_Sarah7

Answer by Princess_Sarah7 at 10:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• There is a possibility that any growing fetus can be harmed no matter what you do. You should be ok though, most women don't know they are pregnant for a month or two anyway.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:19 AM on Jun. 19, 2009