Does anyone have any advice on how to get my 3 1/2 yr. old to finish potty training?

I feel like I have tried everything, sticker charts, taking away things that he likes to do and play with, slight punishment. Nothing seems to work. He also acts like he doesn't know what he is doing, or tries to change the subject when I try to talk to him. I don't know what else to do, I have talked to his dr. about the trouble we are having, and his only response is "give him 6 more months" ! He has to be potty trained by August 1 or he can not go to daycare therefore, I cannot work, and I have to work. If anyone has any advice or trick to doing what seems to be impossible at this moment I would appreciate it. Thank You

laurajean_55

Asked by laurajean_55 at 10:23 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What I finally did with my youngest is bought a kitchen timer. I set it for every 15 minutes at first and everytime it went off I sat him on the potty. As he stayed dry longer and longer I would up the time to 30 minutes, then to an hour, and so on until he finally went on his own. It's time consuming, but it didnt' take more than a week or so for him to get into the habit and he's been potty trained now since just before his 3rd birthday and he's 4 now! Good luck mama!
    MynTop

Answer by MynTop at 11:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Are you keeping him in Underwear or pull ups? My advice is keep him in underwear all the time. Try to stay outside alot ( if you can) since its getting summer time, that way you won't have as many accidents in your house. Putting my son in undies was the only thing that help. He had about 1 week of "alot" of accidents, but as the weeks went by, he got better! He was in undies with no accidents at 27 months. He turned 3 in march, he hasn't had a day accident , in I don't know when. He does have a night accident about once a month. Hope this helps. Good Luck!! =)
    AsaGarrett

Answer by AsaGarrett at 1:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Hi! I'm having the same problem except that he's going to pre-school. in aug. Most daycare's usually help with potty training so I don't understand why yours wouldn't. Maybe you could look into a different daycare if he's not fully potty trained by then. I keep hearing about this 3 day potty training but not sure what it is and if it works. I'll look into it. Message me if you want because I think we could help each other out. I'm probably going to go with AsaGarret's advice and take the diapers away. My mother-in-law suggested the same thing. Now getting the underwear on him..another question for another day..
    mkagdchcetdy

Answer by mkagdchcetdy at 3:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I had this trouble with my middle boy. Someone gave me the advice to figure out his "currency" For him it was his time - he did not want to be taken away from what he was doing. So every time he peed himself we would stop what we were doing and take a full bath. This lasted only 2 days. Now with my third this doesn't work b/c he loves baths too much. I am still trying to get him at 4 to not have accidents. GOOD LUCK, - have faith he will get it!
    my3sonstoledo

Answer by my3sonstoledo at 8:21 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• It's probably not what you want to hear but NOTHING worked until my dd was ready...really nothing--not incentives, not sticker charts, begging, pleading, scolding, cheering, NOTHING. She would pee on the toilet at age 2 but was not ready to poop until over 3 1/2. She had this fear of letting it go on the toilet. Finally one slipped out when she peed and she realized it was ok, nothing to be afraid of. She had to be the one to decide she was going to do it from there on out though. And ever since that day she has done it. Hang in there, he WILL get it. I wish your daycare was a little more flexible though!! What are you suppossed to do??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Put him in underwear during the day and put him on the toilet or potty seat at least every 30 minutes.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• My son wasn't trained until 2 days before his 4th birthday! My husband and I were so stressed out about it and it seemed that the more we pressured him, the more resistant he became. We tried everything positive (stickers, rewards) to get him interested but nothing worked. Everyone (teachers, doctors, other parents) told us that boys especially can train really late and that they just have to be ready - you can't make them be ready. When we quit trying to train him he just decided and that was it! I hope you give it some time and just keep it positive with your son. Believe me, we were so stressed and my husband thought that we would have to homeschool him because he would never be trained! :)
    claire_torrey

Answer by claire_torrey at 2:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I've always said when ur child is ready it will be easy however with my oldest son who was obviously ready we wrapped little presents cars just anything small. Every time he used the toilet he got a present. A friend of mine says that she potty trains he children in one day just by devoting the day talking and taking them to the bathroom. Good luck it will happen.

Nickimotherof3

Answer by Nickimotherof3 at 6:02 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Good morning. I have a bit of issue on this one too, so we'll learn together. First, if it doesn't work - private daycares have moms who will help more (in their home type daycare). Second, I used to keep him at home because of it, now I do the opposite. Having to leave a fun activity (maybe a walk, something not too public so he isn't labeled) that he has to turn around and leave the minute he pees helped him find incentive. We took a vacation and believe it or not the whole trip down, dry. He even said 'I gotta go potty' and held it .. up to like 10-15 mintues once because we were on the freeway and there wasn't any place to go. The rest of the trip we used pullups and changed back to undies right after. He still goes now and then but it's big progress. Lesson: sometimes doing what you don't think will work, does. We also talk about how nice it feels to be dry and clean. It's warm and soft and snuggly and nice.
    CammyLStevens

Answer by CammyLStevens at 12:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2009