My son fell and stopped breathing

Has anyone had this happen? My son fell and he started to cry so I came running and picked him up and he stopped breathing. He started turning blue and his body became very rigid. I thought he was going to pass out. I was so scared I didn't know what to do. I really thought I was going to lose him. I patted his back, blew in his face, laid him down. All of a sudden he started coughing and breathing. Also, he smelled a little bit like vomit. He has held his breath before when he has fallen, but never like this. After he started breathing, he was very mellow, wanted to be held and eventually fell asleep. I am so upset right now and worried about him. My husband wasn't home at the time so I was alone and it was the scariest experience I have ever had. He is 2 and a half years old. I just wanted to see if this has happened to anyone else. Thanks.

auntaria

Asked by auntaria at 10:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if he is throwing up take him to the emergency room & never allow a child to sleep after hitting their head. yes my 6yr hit her head badly when she was three I was told keep her awake & bring her in if she throws up.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• oh my god...thats so scary! sounds like maybe he choked on his vomit... I dunno. is he ok now? are YOU ok now?! =)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:18 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• That is so scary! Could it possibly have been some sort of a seizure?
    TeigansMom0505

Answer by TeigansMom0505 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I hope you took him to the hospital. You should always call your Dr concerning a head injury. Whenever a child stops breathing call 911. Better safe then sorry. How is he now?
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 1:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• My son did this alot as a small baby, up until about 6 months ago. He would cry , and hold his breath, and go out , and very limp for a few seconds .He is 2 1/2 now as well. He usually only does it when he is scared, or is hurt badly. the doctor called it spontaneous fainting, and for us to just hold the back of his head firmly and blow in his face, he will come around. Although he has never turned blue before, I am sure that is especially scary. It still scares me to death every time he does it. They say he will most likely outgrow it. I was praying that my child wasnt one that would get hurt playing in a baseball game and pass out on me in the middle of the field..... It is a very helpless feeling. I would definitely tell your doctor about it, especially about the vomit smell and him turning blue, there may be another explanation. I just wanted you to know you weren't alone in this, as I thought I was.
    momtorjb

Answer by momtorjb at 12:21 PM on Jun. 26, 2009