What's the best pet for 3 and 5 year old boys?

Hubby and I live in a condo. Although small dogs are allowed, I just feel like a dog is not a good option for a pet at this time. I would like to have our own house with a fenced in yard, before we get a dog. I also don't like cats. I hate dealing with litter boxes, and I refuse to get them a cat.

With all that said, what kind of small indoor pet would you recommend for boys ages 3 and 5. I want to get them something they can handle, feed, pet, clean up after. I don't want something that is too fast, so if it gets away from them I wont have to spend hours looking for it; chasing it around. I was thinking something like a frog, or maybe slow lizard (not an iguana, those things are fast). Hubby wants to get them a rat. Which would you suggest?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 10:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Pets

• i have heard that rabbits can make good indoor pets and if you get the right kind they can be either lazy and easy going or really hyper and wound tight. You can even litter train them. i have thought about getting one myself. it's all about getting the right breed though....
    hihowareyou22

Answer by hihowareyou22 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Ferrets! They're easily trained, use the litter box, and do NOT smell, contrary to popular belief. (The odor that people think they have comes from a scent gland which is removed if they come from a pet store.) They're very affectionate and playful, and can stand up to some of the horseplay that a rat wouldn't tolerate. Ferrets are hilarious little critters. They'll make a game out of anything, and bond very closely with humans. I've had three, and would have more if I didn't have two giant dogs. They also have a fairly long life span, making them ideal for kids who don't really understand such things yet. Hope this helps!
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 11:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I vote for palin ol" fish Turtles have a problem with semonella so forget that Iguanas grow fast & you will need a huge cage, A rat? thay are just nasty they are still very small & think they would enjoy watching the fish & it would be easier on you upgrade to a dog when you do get fence
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• a bird. ohyeah and a rat. they are pretty cool. we had one. she was really sweet. they are cheap to feed and easily disposiable if they die.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 1:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Rats are the pocket pet of choice that I suggest for children. They are easy to take care of and very social. They are not nocturnal like most rodents, eat virtually anything and love being handled. I have many happy clients who have chosen a rat for their younger children. I suggest getting two, although not mandatory, they do like company.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 7:18 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Guinea pig. They are fairly slow, loving, and come in all kinds of colors and either smooth (like a rabbit) or the better known "spikey" fur. They don't have the tail, like rats which bothers some people. They are a little bigger than rats (which are also good if you are okay with them) and not "bitey" like hamsters.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:28 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I would say a rat or a guinea pig.
    Rats are not nasty they are very clean, smart, sociable pets.
    I have yet to meet a slow lizard. Fish are nice to look at but the tank does take some cleaning, and all you can do with a fish is watch it swim. Rabbits can be messy, they do bite.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 10:45 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Guinea Pigs are high maintance. They must have their Vitamin C regulated through diet. Vitamin C deficiency will create hair loss and can also kill them. They are prone to scabies and lice. Most people do not realize that GP food must be kept in cool dark place to prevent the breakdown of Vitamin C. The food has to be replaced and replenished daily. They are also noisy especially at night when young children are trying to sleep. Just some food for thought.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 12:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Chameleons are slow lizards. But I think I'm still leaning towards a rat.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:36 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Stuffed animals are best at that age
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 4:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2009