My 12 yr daughter who is going to class 8th next has started her summer vacation.This summer we have no budget to go on vacation. I need some ideas as to what all activites should we involve her for her overall growth.

She will be doing her violin and Tenis during the vacation.I want something that doesn't involve much money but still help her grow.Some interesting games and activities also.

gulgulaini

Asked by gulgulaini at 10:49 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Is there a local youth group that she could attend? Often these groups meet once a week and host barbecues and other age-appropriate social events. If you send her to a youth group, have her go with a friend for confidence.

Look into volunteer opportunities. Does she like animals? She could volunteer at the humane society, or at a horse boarding stable. Does she like kids? She could help out with summer camps.

Oh, and be sure to leave plenty of time unscheduled so she can relax and do some reading.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 3:24 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Does you town have museums? I live in a old and touristy town so there are some historical places to go and several museums withing 30min.

Also, you may want to try to join a homeschooling e-mail list; I belong to one that finds lots of activities.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:43 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• It seems like she will be doing at least 2 external activities that will help her connect with others. How about giving her time to do something more intrinsic to her? For example, I know young kids who are keen to start writing a book or a novel. She could use her time off to put down ideas for a book or a novel or even a blog later on. In addition, you could give her some responsibility around the house like planning the menu on Wednesdays and helping in the preparation of the salad or something like that. This is my plan with my 12 year-old boy as well. He will be doing soccer but I want him to have time for himself like writing sport commentaries. I also want him to take responsibility like painting a part of the basement and cooking light stuff.

Marie is the author the kids' book "Money for Pre-Teens" by ICanBeAGenius.

ICanBeAGenius

Answer by ICanBeAGenius at 10:04 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Maybe she can volunteer at an animal shelter? My son does, and he loves it! He learns how to take care of all kinds of animals, and learns responsibility.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 20, 2009