My 12 yr. daughter likes pizza's , burgers , choclate and most non healthy foods How can I make her like healthy food.

gulgulaini

Asked by gulgulaini at 10:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• you cant make anyone like anything
    sorry
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon 9:56pm, you can't make anyone like anything. Can anyone make you like anything or eat something you don't like. If she doesn't like something you made for a meal, she is old enough to cook for herself.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• While I agree with the previous two answers, I also think there is something you can do to help her change her unhealthy eating habits...she is only 12 so you ARE still the parent and I assume in charge of the grocery shopping. Make those unhealthy foods less available and keep trying new healthy foods with her. As long as she is trying new and healthy foods instead of only eating junk you are teaching her to be healthy when she is grown up and out of your house. My children are much younger but they are only offered healthy choices so that's the only choice they can make. They all know that junk food and candy is a rare treat and not the normal way to eat. Good luck!
    MynTop

Answer by MynTop at 11:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Don't buy the junk.

Hamburgers/hotdogs/pizza are pretty rare in our house; unhealthy foods are primary "confined" to activities outside our home.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:47 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Stop buying what you don't want her to eat.Pizza does not have to be junk food. You can make it with whole grain crust &lots of veggies.Stop being a short order cook; prepare one meal, &if she doesn't like it then either she goes hungry or you can use our option: she can make peanut butter & honey on whole grain toast & have an apple with it.Kids love to cook; go to the library with her & check out a couple of cookbooks (anything Moosewood or by Drena Burton).Take her to the grocery store & let her pick out a new vegetable to introduce to the family.I many healthy, tasty, family &budget friendly recipes.Contact me for recipes.Noodles & veggies with peanut sauce
    Veggie pot pie,Lentil tacos,Squashed macaroni,Sweet potato & black bean burritos,Sloppy jojos (lentils),Italian stew,Veggie stew with dumplings,Southwest falafel (bean patties with avocado),Tofu "fish sticks" with sweet potato or acorn squash baked fries,Tamali Bean Pi

Answer by rkoloms at 10:15 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I disagree with anyone on here that says that you can't change what they eat.. I have a recipe book that helps you hide the good/healthy food in with the food that's tasty.. I do make these recipes all the time.. I even fooled my mom who happens to be my worst critic
    honeychick772

Answer by honeychick772 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Alas, I never did accomplish this. Until he was married, my son lived on pizza and grilled cheese sandwiches. And the sandwiches he made by toasting two slices of bread and sticking a slice of American cheese between them, then putting the sandwich in the microwave for a few seconds to melt the cheese. Now he eats a much better diet, thanks to his wife. For a girl, I don't know if you want to go the weight route- it isn't good to make them hyper about their weight- that could lead to eating disorders. So I'd try bringing up health issues and how a balanced diet is needed to be and look healthy. - no mention of weight. Perhaps make her responsible for one family meal a week. Help her pick out a recipe- there are lots online- take her to the grocery store so she can pick out ingredients- and she prepares and cooks the meal. Try to teach her during all of this about a balanced diet- salad, vegetables, fruit.

Answer by Bmat at 12:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• There is nothing unhealthy about pizza. Done properly it can contain all four food groups. You can make whole wheat crust. home grown tomatoes. low fat meats and plenty of veggies. sign her up for a healthy cooking class. If she makes it herself she will be more likely to eat it.

Anonymous

• I just realized I didn't tell you what book.. Sorry.. The book is called Deceptively Delicious - by Jessica Sienfeld
    honeychick772

Answer by honeychick772 at 3:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Sound like a normal 12 year old girl to me but like some of the other moms said you are the one who does the shopping so pretty much you are in charge. It will only get worse as she gets older because she will be out with her friends and be able to make her own choices. Tell her how you feel and maybe she will listen a little or as much as a preteen will.
    Good Luck
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 5:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2009