Is there something wrong with a mom who devotes her life to her kids?

Why does it seem as if people feel that way?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't see anything wrong with that.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• No, but there does come a time where the mom may feel lost - she can't hang onto her children forever. Some sort of interest besides the kids is healthy for a person.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I'm all about that, but that can make it much harder to let go. Like my MIL, that woman does NOT understand the concept of boundaries.
    MHaney1980

Answer by MHaney1980 at 11:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I think that it is sad, especially when the nest is empty. I think that you need to gradually prepare your kids to be independent and slowly find out what you want to do when they are gone.
    smarshy

Answer by smarshy at 11:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My daughter comes first, always. But I have interests and hobbies. Being a mother is a big part of my life...but it's not the ONLY part of my life. Am I making sense?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My children are very independent for their age (they are only 1 & 2) lol...but what they can do on their own i let them....But my life revolves around them everything I do and every appt. and meeting all revolves around them and their needs. It may sound crazy but they are only little for a while and I want to spend every minute I can enjoying that. My husband and I don't get along, and its because he is jealous of the children. He is like a little child himself and wants "mommy" all to himself, but that isnt going to ever happen lol...
    Anonymous

• My son will always come first, but I am a person too. I have interests and hobbies. I need time to be me and not just someones mom. My son also needs to learn how to get along without his mom. I won't always be around to help him. There is nothing wrong with a mom wanting and needing time away from their children. Just because you are a parent doesn't mean your life ends.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• While I do have other interests, activities and hobbies, yes I devote my life to my children. That's the whole reason I became a mom...because I WANTED to be one. I do get people who think it's odd that I'd rather spend my time with my kids than out drinking or partying or even working...but in the end it's my life and that's how I want it. I'm perfectly happy this way. So, to answer the OP's question...NO I don't see anything wrong with it, and I think the reason other people may is because they just don't share the same view on parenting as those of us who do like to devote our lives to our children.
    MynTop

Answer by MynTop at 11:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• If you're spending so much time doting on your children that your husband is resentful, you should maybe spend a little more time paying attention to him. You plan on growing old with him, not your kids. They will grow up and move on and have lives of their own, and that's normal and you should want that for them.
    yogapantz

Answer by yogapantz at 11:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• yogapantz I think if your husband is that needy its kind of controlling and insane. I DO in fact plan on growing old with my husband AND my kids. Just because they move on with their lives doesn't mean you shouldn't be devoted to them even in adulthood.
    I think your children should be the most important thing in your life.
    Anonymous