How many on PA are military spouses?

I have read a great number of posts where people say they are on WIC or PA and their spouse is military. I always thought the military paid a living wage. How can this be? So- Military families....are you on PA? That is just a shame;(

teampalmer4

Asked by teampalmer4 at 11:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I get the point of the post is that people feel the military could make more. That isn't untrue... but I don't think that it's always a matter of making more being the problem. Again, you can do everything right and still get to a new post that creates different needs for your family- costing a bit to get settled. And that can happen almost yearly for some families I have met. Ita though that if anything military families shouldn't be a pity to accept such assistance. At least it is obvious they are working to improve their situations to provide for their families. Idk that I like assumptions about who gets PA and why, but I do get what you are saying because there are people who abuse the system. If anything I would think that a recipient being military would at least send the message that they were abusing the system. The military takes all kinds I know.  But I do know that there is only so much "skating by" you can do
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• We were on WIC for a few months right before my husband got out of the Army. But they only count your base pay towards WIC so that is why so many people in the military are eligible for it. Truthfully, the pay can suck while you are in a lower rank but once you start getting Sgt. and above the money is nice. As long as you manage your money and don't have 5 kids then you can live off what you make and still enjoy some nice things.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• were a military family and no were not, they have bah- for housing and i dont think they have anything for food i know they took a certain amount out of hubbys check while he was in training and since hes been done with that and we have been with him that money was just added back into the paycheck every two weeks. i dont think people should be on pa if theyre in the military or a military spouse.
    Anonymous

• We were on WIC for the past year. My DD just turned 5, so no longer eligible, plus hubby just put on TSgt rank so we don't really qualify for it anymore. We would still qualify for PA here where we are, but we don't NEED it so we aren't taking it. For families where the spouse is lower ranking (SSgt and below) PA is often needed if you have more than one child, and in very low ranks, it is often necessary even with one child. But yes, if you manage your money well and don't take on a lot of debt, you can fairly easily live off the pay of a Tsgt or higher even with a family of 5 or more.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• U can be making a decent living and still be eligible for WIC. And if your spouse is lower enlisted and you have 3 kids u'll probably need PA. You dont get more money because u have more kids. I live in TX my hubby is an e4 army and we have 5 kids and don't receive PA. I am a SAHM too.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• To the anon post above, if a military member has a child and spouse, and joins the military, the pay is VERRRYYY low, especially if they have ANY kind of debt at all. We could not make ends meet when hubby joined, so he had to take on a second job because if I was working, we would have paid it all out to daycare. Have you looked at exactly what an Airman basic or Airman in the Air Force makes? Not a whole lot. Now yes, higher ranking families in the military should not HAVE to be on PA to get by.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• when my husband joined we had a child and we managed, it was difficult at times, but we always did it. we were not on pa either, and hes not any kind of sgt now, hes a spc, and we make it and were still are able to get what we want, we have one child i was just stating how it was for us, but i personally dont think that the military families should be on it i have never known anyone since my hubbys time in the military to be on it, it may be needed for some but from what i have experienced and what i have seen i dont agree. but i am a firm believer in IF YOU NEED IT THEN GO FOR IT, I DONT AGREE WITH USING IT JUST TO BE LAZY. but no matter what i believe if you need it then do it, do whatever you have to do to take care of your family.
    Anonymous

• We received WIC when my DH was in the Marines. The pay is okay, but not great. Where we were stationed housing was in high demand. The waiting list for Base Housing was huge. We were told our wait would be nearly a year if not more. We received 1200 a month in BAH, our 1 bedroom Apartment was 1450 a month plus utilities. As his rank increased, so did his pay and we were able to get off WIC. When we finally got into base housing and didn't have that extra money coming out, we were able to afford nice things.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 11:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I am a military wife. We are of a higher rank so pay is good.

I think it is a DISGRACE for this country to have a single military member on any type of public assistance. These young men and women put their lives on the line and sometimes make the ultimate sacrifice for this great nation. They deserve a decent wage for the work they do. Aren't their sacrifes worth more?

For those of you in the lower ranks...HANG IN THERE!! It does get better! :)

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Well my husband is an E-5 in the Marines and MY son is on WIC. My husband and I don't receive it my SON does. Before you go after us why don't you concentrate on the illegal immigrants getting PA for their children. Maybe you should take the time to read a pay chart for lower enlisted service members. When my husband was a PFC he would get 300 a paycheck that is 600 a month and most of it would go to his car insurance. So yes it is possible to see why military families receive PA.

Here is the page with the military pay chart for 2009. Look for yourself to see what these servicemembers make as lower enlisted. http://www.navycs.com/09militarypaychart.html
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 8:17 AM on Jun. 19, 2009