why does my co-worker Persistent

everyday I get these bible quotes, and after lunch every other word has something about the lord in her heart. every monday I could tell you everything that happened at her church. and this woman knows I don't have the same beliefs (Im Pagan) I mean its not like I go around telling her about my beliefs, and quoting things (like she would listen anyway) so why do I have to listen to hers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• ...while you do your best to respect hers you would appriciate the same treatment or to simply drop the subjet all together. Either way you will either end the conversation and the stories, lectures & scriptures or you could end up with some very interesting and educational conversations from both your and her perspectives... Open hearts come in the most disguised packages of all...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Tell her about your Goddess. Sometimes Christians are happy to hear we are happy.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I would tell her about your beliefs. If she can share hers, you can share yours. And I know it gets annoying, but most of them are just trying to be nice. They think we are going to go to hell and they are trying to save us from that. The ones that get on my nerves are the ones who are constantly throwing scripture at me even thought they KNOW I think the bible is nothing more then a book of good moral stories.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I worked with a family (a sister & 2 brothers) in a public resturant. They had all been home schooled simply because there wasn't enough God in the local private catholic school's teachings. Today, one is a minister and another is a missionary. But when we worked together we would all end up in these night long discussions about religion. They believed very deeply in their religion and I in mine. But we always respected one another's beliefs and learned alot from one another. We all still keep in touch even though I'm Pagan, I am still friends with them. In fact the missionary has been known to contact me with questions about the religions he runs in to in other areas.

I don't see why you can't talk about your faith. If she is sharing, share back. If she doens't like what you have to say then simply explain that those are your beliefs and...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I'm a Christian and this honestly isn't something anyone should be discussing in the workplace. I once had a job where someone consistently tried to convert me and I finally just told them "I'm here to work, not to be made uncomfortable for my religious choices." While religion and spirituality are part of who you are, you're not allowed to use them to create a hostile work environment. She needs to find a balance between being herself and being overbearing or not talk at all.

It might seem harsh but I come from a career where pushing your own religion is a huge no-no. The second I alienate a client is the second I've lost that client forever. I need to serve the client in the way they feel is most comfortable which includes enabling them to worship in the way they want to despite my own beliefs about it. I treat my co-workers the same way.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:32 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Honestly, it's harassment. If you ask her to stop even once and she persists, you have grounds for a lawsuit. The question is - are you open about it at work, and do you work for the kind of people who will look for an excuse to fire you if they find out you aren't Christian? If you do, you may be SOL. If your workplace/community is comfortably secular, talk to HR, they'll shut her down because they know they'd lose.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• why is it OK for Christians to talk about their religion all the time, but if a pagan does it, it is offensive. why is it OK for Christians to hand out pamphlets and bibles, but if I even offered an invite to a ritual some people would have a cow.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 7:44 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I agree with NotPanicking. You are just going to have to tell her that you are sorry, you mean no disrespect, but you don't want to hear about her religion any more.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 8:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2009