Why do they tape your eyes closed when you are in surgery?

I mean, you are asleep anyway. So, what difference does it make?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Just for Fun

• They do it because you are under anesthesia, your muscles are also imobilized. If they did not tape the eyelids gently down the eyelid would drift open. The eye is then at risk for drying out because there is no blink reflex. It prevents injury to the eye itself.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I have no idea!! maybe if you do wake up, taping the eyes shut is a reminder they are in the middle of surgery? LOL good question!!!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• They tape the eyelids shut so they don't dry out.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• i never even knew that they did that, have had 2 surgeries where i was put under general anesthesia and didn't realize that they did that. guess they wait til after i was asleep and took the tape off before i woke up
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Some people under anesthesia are freaks of nature and their eyes stay open or they open during surgery because of the nerves. They can't dry out even being half open.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 11:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• So your eyes dont dry out, because your tear ducks cant work when you are asleep. And if your eyes dry out it can cause abrasions on your corneia. I didnt know that part, i did know about the drying out part but i just looked it up to make sure i was right! LOL :) I would think it is also so if stuff is being passed over top of you and it falls it wouldnt have the chance of going in your eye. thats a good question though!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 11:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Ok, that makes sense, GrnEyedGrandma. I never thought on that. I just figured it was another way to torture someone after surgery. Cause we all know how much that dang tape hurts when it comes off. lol
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• wow I never thought about that! how taping the eyes is to prevent drying out! very interesting!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• *shudders* I just read the dictations from the sugury I just had and I'm a little horrified at everything they did to me after I was already asleep. I mean... I'm glad that they were around to do the surgury in the first place, because otherwise I'd have been up shit creek... but still, reading about how they "grasped the anterior lip of the cervix" and "inserted a Hulka uterine manipulator" and "Insufflated (blew up) the abdomen with approximate 3 liters of CO2"... gives a girl the shivers.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• OOPS! I meant to say they CAN dry out being halfway open! lol
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 11:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2009