Where does a 20 y/o non-drinking college girl meet friends?

My daughter is 20 years old, is going to a Major Michigan college while living at home. She does not drink or do drugs and she's beautiful with a stead boyfriend she's had since high school. Today she said that if she were to get married she would have no bridemaids. She doesn't hang out w/her h.s. friends because they all like to party. I told her to meet some girls at school but she says they dont' like her. You see, there aren't many girls in her classes because she's into computer engineering which is dominated by guys. Any suggestions? (She hangs out w/one girl but she's her boyfriend's ex-girlfriend) She's much like my ex, doesn't go out of her "circle" or "comfort zone". I think some people are intimidated because she's so pretty and very smart.

marihand

Asked by marihand at 11:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Relationships

• Have her explore acedemaic societies on campus. She is likely to meet others with her smae interests there. Encourage her to reach out to others without compromising her standards. Sounds like a great kid to me. One good, true friend is better than 20 false ones.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:33 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Academic societies and extracurricular activities are the greatest places to meet people that share interests with you, and also to find other things that interest you that you may never have tried before. So not only is it a great way to meet friends and it's also a great way to expand your interests!
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 11:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Do you have family that can stand up for her, a cousin, niece, etc? My oldest dd had no friends. Her sister was her MOH but had to get her sister's friends to come be bridesmaids! My son was the Best Man and his friends were the ushers! LOL Did she watch the movie, I Love You Man? That was about a guy getting married who realized he had no friends and it shows all the things he did to find friends for the wedding party!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• There has be clubs on campus of some kind. She can look for something she is interested in and go for it. She might even try something new . She only needs one person to be in her wedding. A family member would be fine. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 11:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• She can look into clubs on campus. Have her take some other classes that have chances of her meeting other girls her age. She can volunteer and meet people that way.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• what about church? or sports? could she volunteer for anything? big sisters? Food pantry? a part time job? I hope she finds something. keep in touch.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:18 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I graduated with my degree in CIS, specializing in Database Management, and it was all guys... Very few girls and if there were girls, they were not in my classes as I was past them in my degree. I joined the AITP club and am one of their officers. There are quite a few girls in mine, so you can meet some that way possibly..... It is worth a shot.... Good luck to her....
    angelmama081007

Answer by angelmama081007 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• The only thing I can think of is church, clubs or check out the local paper to see if there is anything that interests her. Maybe she can meet people there? I was married with my now ex girlfriend, my ex brothers wife and that was that. Not a big wedding, but fun. Good luck.
    Anonymous