So you're at the store with your kid/kids and they want a candy/toy or whatever. Do you....

give in and let them have their way or stand your ground and keep with your original answer of no.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't give in, even if it means a hissy fit. The fit is usually short-lived, especially when she sees that her tears won't get her what she wants!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:31 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Occasionally I'll fold.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• It depends. If my son has had a good day/week then I might treat him to a new toy or a sweet treat. If he has had an okay day or a bad day then I just explain to him what he can do differently to get his treat next time. He will pitch a fit sometimes but I hold my ground on that.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• No is no. I had always made up my mind before I got to the store if I was going to buy a toy or candy for them. Cuz, you KNOW they're going to ask - they always ask.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I agree with Pace. No is NO.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 11:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Nope, don't give in. Then again they rarely ask because they know better. And if they throw a fit not only do they not get whatever they wanted but when they get home they are grounded or in more trouble.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• Its never ever an issue with us. I never buy my son anything that we didn't go into the store for. What we do is take pictures for Santa and text message them to the North Pole. My son always just says "Text Msg Santa a picture of that I'd like to have it" It works well because when Christmas time or Birthdays come and people ask what he wants I know exactly what to tell them. Judge me as you want but I allow my child to have fun with Santa Claus and it keeps the magic of the season going all year round. We also make it very very clear that Santa picks the best presents out of the ones we send him so he won't get it all.
    Anonymous

• If they ask, they do not get anything. A reward is given for good behavior and polite manners.

My kids are told in advance if they can earn something, otherwise we have to keep to the list, especially in the current economic situation.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 11:53 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• I tell my 4 yr old ahead of time what we are going to the store for. If I forget to do that then I tell him to wait for his bday.
    On his bday we go and he can have any toy he wants!! On his 4th bday he got all the planet heros and was so excited!! he raced to the cashier! with 2 heros and I had the other 2 trying to keep up, lol
    If a person gives in all the time it takes the fun out of getting something new and exciting
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:01 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• nope! if i say no then it stays no- but if i start the shopping trip by saying "if u behave then u can pick something out" then i stick to my words- if they act up then they dont get a thing but if they behave then they get it- how else is ur kid going to learn when u r being serious if u always go back on what u say? but my kids know from the get go if were going food shopping then thats what were going for and if were going clothes shopping then thats what were going for- so dont beg me for this and that because the answer is no! (but like i said- there are those times where i will treat them for good behavior)
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2009