How much is too much??

My first pediatrician (Who I have replaced) told me I should only be offering my daughter 3ozs every three hrs.. but that was when she weighed 5lbs 12oz...She is 3 weeks old today and weighs 7lbs 2.5oz.. I still offer her the three ozs every three hrs but I find she is waking up about 1.5-2 hrs later fussing and hungry. Should I up how much I am offering her at a time? How much should you offer a 3 week old? Is there a certain amount you offer by age or by weight? I don't want to overfeed (the dr I replaced told me if I overfeed her it could lead to weight problems when she is older) so what do I do? Should I offer her more at each feeding or should I offer her an oz or something between her three hr feedings? Being a new mom is so scary, I feel like I'm soo lost at all this. Thanks for any advice or help!

Faeriebrat

Asked by Faeriebrat at 11:32 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tell your pedi he is an ignoramus and offer her how ever much she wants. Sometimes my DD ate 6 oz at this age. She needs to eat until she is full otherwise she will be unsettled, fussy and you could create sleep issues when you dont need to. I demand FF feed so whenever she wants it. I like that better than the rigidity of a schedule for such a little baby
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 11:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• just to make this clear, IM NOT A DOCTOR (and i dont mean that to sound mean if it does sorry) but i think you should let her eat 4-5 oz. i had the same problem. your supposed to do oz by how many hours between feedings, but my dd eats 4-5 oz, and eats about every 3 hours. i dont believe IMO that you can over feed a baby. i mean i know its possible but im pretty sure youd have to force her. JMO so i think if its what you think you should do go with your gut. YOUR THE MOM you know your baby better than they do. they told me it wasnt possible my dd was rolling over at a month old. riiiight ok. w.e
    LA09TKP

Answer by LA09TKP at 11:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• My son ate probably 3 ozs by then.
    my doctor is so dumb!
    i give my son cereal now and have been since he was about 1 1/2 months old, and he sleeps through the night now and hes 2 1/2 months!
    your doctor tells you not to blah blah blah. my mom did with all three of her kids and theres nothing wrong with us....so to answer your question try 3 oz and if shes still hungry feed her shell quit when shes done. just make sure to burp her you dont a tummy ache!!
    MAMABEAR7210

Answer by MAMABEAR7210 at 11:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• i think you can overfeed if the baby is eating fast. they cant register "full" till its too late, then comes the throw up..... lol, but thats usually the worst side affect! my mom said i overate ALL the time until i was like 4 months old. so i threw up all the time, cuz my stomach couldn't handle all the liquid. my dr said the same thing " an ounce per hour" um YAH right. lol, my babe was eating 4 oz at a time ever 2 to 3 hours at 4 weeks old. she eats all the time!!!! all babies are different, some dont like to eat and fight the bottle, thats hard. i'd rather have a baby that LOVES to eat at least you dont have to worry if they are getting their nutrients. :) good luck!!
    Anonymous

• Good thing you replaced that loonie! I have always been told, if you make a certain amount and they finish all of it, make it next time with another ounce. So as soon as she was finishing 3ozs you should have started offering 4oz. Their stomachs grow, sometimes more quickly than others. I was always told that formula fed babies go 4hours but when I started my little girl on formula pretty regularly at 5months she would still eat every 3hours. I usually make 7oz. She eats almost all of it sometimes. And sometimes she eats 2oz then pushes it away and Im going DARN what a waste of money. But she is now 17.5lbs. at 6months. SO... if you offer 4oz and your baby finishes all of that, put in 5. And at that age, it is never good to hold them off of food for any reason. They need that and sleep whenever they want it. And I wouldnt worry about over feeding. They stop when they are full so basically dont try to force them to finish it
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 12:57 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Always follow babies cues if your FF or BF. Babies know when they are hungry.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• If your baby eats that often, offer another ounce. My daughter was on 4 oz before 1 month. She is 8 weeks now, and was eating 4 oz around every 3 hours. A couple of weeks ago, she started eating every 2 hours, so we upped her to 5 oz. and she is eating every 3 hours again. Plus, when you add another ounce, she may drop one of her night time feedings! (Mine did!!)
    leahs_mom_kate

Answer by leahs_mom_kate at 9:47 AM on Jun. 19, 2009