Can you randomly get placenta previa (or other problems.) in the middle of pregnancy?

I was just wondering... If the placenta in a woman that has placenta previa can move out of the way before the woman gives birth, does that mean that the placenta can also move into the way, causing a woman who thought she was having a normal pregnancy to have placenta previa and not know it? I'm just wondering, because I'm 34.3 weeks pregnant and just keep worrying that something is or has gone wrong and I just don't know it. I have no reason to think I have placenta previa, but my cousin had it and had to have a c-section. I'm scared of it happening and going into labor with it... and then ending up dying. (My worst fear right now is dying during labor cause then I won't get to meet my little boy.) Are there things that can just go wrong and you not know about it? I'm not getting another ultrasound, so I'm worried.

Enembe

Asked by Enembe at 11:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The placenta never really "moves". It changes position as the uterus grows. So what might have been right over the cervix at week 14, is now just low in the uterus at week 34. So no, you cannot develop placenta previa at 34 weeks. It's not physically possible.

There are risks to pregnancy, just like there are risks to everything. But pregnancy is not a diseased state, it is a normal and healthy bodily function. We, as a culture, over dramatize birth to make it seem perilous, really it's very safe. Generally, if something horrible is about to go wrong, like you're worried about, you get warning signs. Bad things don't generally just happen for no reason in pregnancy.

I understand how afraid you are, but you are freaking yourself out because you love your baby and want the best. It's perfectly normal, and perfectly insane :p You are healthy and beautiful and your pregnancy is going smoothly. Affirm that to yourself daily
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 18, 2009