Pagans Please...

How do you feel about picking flowers for decoration? I'm having very mixed feelings about this. I have always been one that loves a good bunch of roses for my birthday, but the deeper and deeper I get in to my own faith and the deeper my respect for nature grows the more I am having a "moral delema."

I would never kill an animal just to use it for decoration. I only use fake yule trees, so as not to harm the live ones, I don't even swat insects that aren't putting me or my kids in danger... But, I pick flowers just to decorate with? I'm kinda having issues with this... I know it sounds silly. But my son brought me in flowers, and they were beautiful. So I put them in water and told him that will keep them alive longger (he's 3), but that's when I realized that it's kinda a barbaric practice to kill flowers just because they are pretty.

So, how does everyone else feel? Is it as okay to kill the flower just for it's look

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Perhaps if you picked the flowers then returned them to the earth (compost). Just a thought
    Anonymous

• When I get flowers I dry as much of it as I can and use in spell craft. I compost the rest.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2009

• yup

potpourri and compost

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I love the ideas the others have said.

Now, personally, we dont have very many flowers growing anywhere nearby as we live in the desert. I want to buy some very pretty fake flowers so I can use them for many different occasions.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I heavily use flowers for decorations, both for the altar and for the home. I don't consider using cut flowers as barbaric or as a waste. There are so many different flowers because we as a species found them beautiful and have kept them, raised them and help continue they overall survival. Their purpose is to be beautiful and cut flowers is that end that many species were raised for.

I wouldn't use endangered wildflowers or other rare varieties, as that would for me create that moral dilemma, as I would then be impacting their overall genetic survival. But the weedy wildflowers and florist bouquet I have no problems with cutting them and displaying them. It is their purpose.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 8:44 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• non-pagan (depending on what def. of Pagan you're using LOL).....but just wanted to put out there that trimming plants HELPS them. They have evolved to be eaten by animals, and when they are trimmed, they branch out and get bigger. So I really don't see a problem with it unless you're cutting down the whole plant.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2009