My son totally lost his bedtime routine! HELP

Since my son has been nine months old. He has went to bed at the same time. 8 oclock pm. He will be two tomorrow. My husband recently went to Korea for military things was only gone for a month, but during that time he really lost his routine. Now, he won't go to bed. He went to bed just by laying down. Gave him a cup of water, his giraffe covered him up gave him kisses kissed whatever owies he decided he had, told him night night i love you shut the door and that was that. No cyring, no nothing. That's how it's been since he was nine months old. I really don't know what to do. He doesn't want to go to bed. Nap time night time. It doesn't matter. My husband is home now and it's just awful. He screams and screams. It doesn't matter if I lay down with him because then he thinks it's just time to play. I don't know what to do. It's very hard on me to have him scream. I have a six month old and my husband works early mornings.HELP

mrsbierbaum

Asked by mrsbierbaum at 12:01 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• dad leaving has an impact on them that we don't see except in changing the ways they do things. for my daughter, she turns into a hellion when he is gone, she is starting to express herself and the fact that she misses him.
    but to get the routine back, try making a new routine, bath, books, maybe daddy saying good night and tucking him in. when he cries and screams, tell him its time to go to sleep and he can get up when the sun comes up (for night time this worked for my daughter when she wanted to stay up) at nap time, tell him he doesn't have to sleep but he has to have quiet time (he'll probably pass out anyways but this way he thinks he can stay up). otherwise, just have daddy reassure him that he loves him no matter what and will always love him wherever he is, even if he isn't at home all the time.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• how old is he? lol sorry you said nine months on top and than 6 months on the bottom?

But Daddy leaving and coming home is doing it. My 1 yr old is the same way. She waits for daddy to get off work and she is so tired but she just wants to play and he has to wake up early!!

I know he is to little to explain things to but have you just let him cry for about 10 mins? Thats what i have to do other wise my DD will not go to sleep i will shut the door she will cry for 10-15 mins and she will pass out..
    kaylajean86

Answer by kaylajean86 at 7:17 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I'm sorry to hear about your problem, my son was that way for a while around 16 months but it is starting to get better. For him it was just a phase and we tried to keep things the same as much as possible and he finally just gave into it. Good luck to you!

Amanda West

I love helping moms work from home!
    Proud Member of CEO MOMs
    816-824-6813
    http://www.internetceomoms.com/rockstar
    mandamomof1

Answer by mandamomof1 at 9:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Sorry. it should have came out that at nine months he started his sleeping routine. Going to bed at eight pm by himself no problems. He has continued this routine up until my husband left for korea for a month and now that he has got back he will not sleep. He is now two years of age. Never had a problem with sleeping until now. We have tried the whole laying down with him, cuddling with him, taking a bath reading books...anything that involves people just makes him think he gets to stay up longer. He screams for a good thirty minutes at night if not longer--but like i said this just started about two weeks ago and off and on while my husband was gone to korea. I also have a six month old little girl--and my husband gets up at five every morning and doesn't get home til five or six and has studies. he spends as much time as he can, but it's very limited. Night time is my only personal time. I just don't know what else to do
    mrsbierbaum

Answer by mrsbierbaum at 6:35 PM on Jun. 19, 2009