How long is too long to bleed for it to be 'just' a period?

I'm going on day 12, I have PCOS and hadn't had a period since March. It's not a heavy flow, no major cramping and I had taken 3 PT's just to be sure and they were all negative. I'm not in good standing financially w/ my OBGYN just yet, insurance misunderstanding, so I wanted to hear what you ladies thought first!

lmsar

Asked by lmsar at 12:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Health

• Since you have PCOS you don't really fall into the realm of normal. 12 days is too long for a woman with a normal cycle, but because you have PCOS that complicates thigns. When you miss months you DO tend to bleed more heavily and for longer when you do bleed again, though. If it doesn't stop in another 5-7 days I'd make a visit whether you can afford it or not. Or if it gets really heavy. It sounds like it's related to the PCOS and not to a pregnancy, though. Usually when there is a pregnancy loss the bleeding is pretty heavy.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I have had a miscarriage as well, so I know it doesn't feel the same at all, just feels like a period. Thanks for your advice. Hopefully it stops soon, I wanna go swimmin', worry free!!!
    lmsar

Answer by lmsar at 12:10 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I would think anything over 10 days is too much.
    Katkitswt

Answer by Katkitswt at 1:59 AM on Jun. 19, 2009