• In the Spotlight:

CHEWING ON EVERYTHING!!!

any ideas on how to make a 3 year old quit chewing on everything!!! He mostly chews on shirts... Its driving me crazy!!! I'm making him go shirtless around the house. And I dotn think he's teething

edenmoseley

Asked by edenmoseley at 12:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it is just a habit kids get into sometimes. I would make sure to go and get a lead level test just to make sure he hasn't been chewing on anything containing lead. There is lead in clothing, but it isn't harmful unless chewed on. I would go get that test just to make sure.
    I think it is a good idea to keep him shirtless until he gets over the chewing thing.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• if he is 3-4 yrs old everytime you catch him flick the lips and say no. They should listen at this age
    kaylajean86

Answer by kaylajean86 at 7:21 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• It's possible that he's is getting molars and the chewing could make his mouth feel better. It's hard to tell if back teeth are coming through so maybe you can ask him if his mouth is hurting.
    claire_torrey

Answer by claire_torrey at 2:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Has he been to the dentist? His teeth might not "hurt" him but there might be pressure for whatever reason, that the chewing relieves: cavity, teeth coming in, back teeth pushing on the rest of them.
    JohnnyCakes

Answer by JohnnyCakes at 4:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2009