Another abortion post, but different!

Letter to the editor: “Andrea Keene’s selective morality is once again
showing through in her July 15 letter. This time she expresses her abhorrence
of abortion. But how we see only what we choose to see! I wonder
if any of the anti-abortionists have considered the widespread use of
fertility drugs as the moral equivalent of abortion, and, if they have,
why they haven’t come out against them, too. The use of these drugs
frequently results in multiple births, which leads to the death of one
of the infants, often after an agonizing struggle for survival. According
to the rules of the pro-lifers, isn’t this murder?”
— North-State Record

For the record, I am pro-life and I still consider it murder. If you are pro-life what do you think? Do you think it is murder? or sacraficing to save a life?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Are you asking if one of the babies does not survive is that murder or if you select to have a few removed to make the chances of the other surviving murder?

In either way I think there seriously needs to be some revisions in the methods of these treatments to avoid ridiculous amounts of babies at one time.

As for answering the question I am prochoice but would not consider aborting my own baby. In the multiple birth cases I think they is a huge gray area.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I, personally, wouldn't consider multiple birth and then the death of one or more babies to be murder. That was never the mother or father's intent. I do think that IVF is murder for the most part. They choose the "best" embryos... all of which are already people, by the way, and implant those, many of which die in the process. The rest of the "bad" embryos die in the petri dish. I think that's wrong. All or nothing.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• OP~ I am speaking about mothers who have to "selectivly abort"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• its all playing God in my eyes and i think people need to stop playing around so much- did u hear about the hero dog that was cloned? omg i am sooooo off topic i know but i just think that humans are going way over board now- jmo- bash bash away but i think its scary now that humans are playing God and creating lives in a petri dish and taking them away with a vacuum cleaner... (and its weird because im pro choice- kinda- it depends on the situation)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• OP~ yES i DID!!! THAT IS INSANE!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I think it is murder. If they wont be able to carry more than one, they should just implant one until one takes, then donate the rest to other mothers! these babies need a real chance, not a half chance that they might be stronger than the other. to me it is like sharks, the strongest one eats the rest to survive, and if a woman wants a child so bad that she is willing to go through invitro, then why would she be willing to chance killing a child?

clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 1:30 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• No - its not murder. IVF is a chance for some couples to have a child that they wouldn't be able to in conventional ways.

Multiple embryos are fertilized and implanted (I think usually 2-4) so as to give the woman a shot that at least one will be viable for life. Sometimes that one splits and gives them twins or triplets, sometimes all of them will split resulting in higher order multiples (such as 6 or more) which is highly risky for all involved. Yes most parents choose to keep all embryos only later to have multiple children born with multiple birth defects / conditions, some of which they will never recover from. That in and of itself could be considered cruel by some (an embryo is just an embryo until the brain is fully developed around 10 weeks I believe)

Abortion is a choice that a woman should be allowed to make and not have to fight for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• 93% of abortions are NOT due to medical issues!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• The whole thing is very complicated and that is the only simple thing about it. I think they should be very careful about the whole embryo question....creating and implanting a reasonable number. I would hate to see something like IVF discontinued because so many people benefit from it. Personally I couldn't have an abortion for "convenience" but I would probably have tried IVF if I had needed to.....I would not have been able to do selective reduction so I would not have let them implant a higher number of embryos. I think these decisions do have to be personal decisions though...the law's involvement scares me despite my own personal feelings. Since the pregnancy at any stage depends on the mother completely, it has to be her decision. Complicated.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:36 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Are you anti-war and anti-death penalty, too? And how is this a parenting issue?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jun. 19, 2009