I'm breastfeeding my 3month old but I pump at night so my husband can feed our daughter the night time bottle. I have just now noticed that I'm not getting as much milk as I was getting. Does this mean my milk is drying up? Is there anything that I can eat to help my body produce more milk? Thanks.

danyelle02

Asked by danyelle02 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Drink water! That's the best thing to do. Wow mad props to you!! I can't even keep up at all with pumping! Water is the best thing to do- just stay hydrated. That happened to me too when I was pumping, I think its pretty normal. If you drink a beer it will help increase your milk supply-- or so I've heard... :) I have to run but I actually have quite a few ideas on how to increase- so I'll let you know...

Mommy of 8 month old BG... and still BF
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Unfortunately, there is no magic pill that will make you produce more milk. There is a delicate relationship between demand and supply in breastfeeding, and the pump is nowhere near as effective at removing milk from the breast as your baby. Because not as much milk is being removed you will produce less milk as a result. The solution is to nurse your baby instead of pumping. Is there a reason you cannot nurse at night?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Tbear, I know you're well meaning, but both of those solutions are not true. Staying hydrated is important for sure, but it will not make you produce more milk. And beer definately does not increase supply, it inhibits the letdown reflex. So when you feel engorged after you drank a beer it's not because it made you make more milk it's because not as much milk was removed from your breasts at your last feeding.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:42 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• No. I can nurse her at night but my husband wants to have time to bond with her too. Plus she is a great baby. She goes to bed at 10 and wakes up anywhere from 5 to 8. So I'm not having to feed her at night. Thanks for your advice :)
    danyelle02

Answer by danyelle02 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I see. Well, bonding with baby is a very important subject, but would he be willing to bond in other ways? Maybe daddy can take over bath time, or he can have skin to skin contact with her in the rocking chair. But this bottle and pumping business is hurting your supply. What are your breast feeding goals? How long do you want to nurse for?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Well have hubby do other things to bond...pumping amounts go down as babies get older, plus you may be giving too big bottles..you can pump throughout the day to have enough for the one bottle. Remember evening is when supply is the lowest, its just natural that way. I would recommend hubby give the bath, change diapers when home, rock baby to sleep, etc to bond. Feeding isn't bonding, its just because its one on one time witht he baby that its bonding, so anything one on one could be bonding. Baby getting all breastmilk is more important than hubby giving a bottle.

You can take fenugreek to raise supply 9-12 pills a day, mothers milk teas and more milk plus pills can raise supply too, so can oatmeal and 60 oz of water a day. Pump after each nursing, pump between nursings and also pump on one side while she nurses the other to get milk.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• There is a supplement called milk plus. I think the main ingredient is fenugreek (sp?). I also would pump more often to get your body to produce more.
    sweetndandy

Answer by sweetndandy at 1:00 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• make sure your getting enough water !!!
    and calories another thing is try oatmeal.
    and after you feed your daughter try pumping 10 mins after each feed for about 10 mins.
    another thing i was told was that if you let the baby eat 5 -10 on each side back and forth
    redivy

Answer by redivy at 3:01 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I would try finding another way to let daddy bond. My DH loved bath time. But seriously at 3 months it is very normal for supply/demand to have leveled off a little and not pump nearly as much. You could take supplements like fenugreek, but that could cause engorgement and infection at other times of the day. Making your body produce more is not the best option for you, but certainly an option if you like.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:09 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Drink more water; take brewers yeast tablets, have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby, pump before nursing, look at pictures of your baby while you nurse, and nurse more often. Try to get some milk in the freezer so you can get a night out!

Answer by rkoloms at 3:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2009