My doxins legs quit working

Today my boyfriend went out to check on our dogs and my dogs back legs wernt working. And im not sure if it was the heat or her weight cuz she is a little heavy. Has anybody had this problem what can i do to help?

karidee52008

Asked by karidee52008 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Pets

• I don't know for sure but my MIL's dachshund has knee displasia. I don't know if that's a condition that is a genetic thing for the breed. Also she is a little on the heavy side and that makes it much worse. I would take her to the vet to find out for sure. Also I know they have some kind of tablets (I think glucose) for dogs that helps with joint pain. I would definitely also put her on a diet. OH! And if she is in visible pain you can give her a children's tylenol. I know you only give one pill at a time, but I don't remember the spacing of the dosage if you give it more than once.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 1:46 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• That breed has a long spine and they're known for issues from it... I'd say she tried to jump down from somewhere... you need to take her to the vet. I had a dog a long time ago, she was pekeneise, but her back legs wouldn't work either... the vet gave her a shot of something in the back and eventually she could use them again.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:31 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• This is actually a very common problem in dachsunds because of their unusually long spine and short legs. Many dachsunds spend much of their lives hooked up to a type of cart that allows them to pull their bodies forward using their front legs only because they're unable to use their hind legs. Most definitely take your dog to the vet!
    Intrepid

Answer by Intrepid at 12:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• they have back problems my MIL has them and her male had to have surgery on his back and they have ramps for the couches and have to watch his jumping.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Thanks for athe advice everyone. I just took my dog to the vet. And he said it could be a pintched nerve and he is going to keep her for awhile to put her on some meds. And i hope it works casue he said if it dont i will have to take her to a specilist amd it will cost like 3 to 4 thousand dollars. I just cant afford that. I want dont want to let her down i really want her better. And im so scared that im going to have to put her down. Im so depressed now.
    karidee52008

Answer by karidee52008 at 2:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• ur hubby could build a little cart for her...my sister has the same problem with her doxin and they cant afford a cart for her and shes only 2 so the dont want to put her down so her dh is building her a cart idk how far they have made with it yet but that what she has told me
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:41 AM on Jun. 20, 2009

• I had a 12-year-old doxie that had the same problem.....his back legs just would not work and he had pain. We took him to the vet and unfortunately he had blown several discs out in his back. They tried steroids in an effort to decrease the swelling around the discs, but it was not effective for him. He had so much pain and because of his age and other health concerns, he was not a candidate for surgery to correct the disc problems. He had to be put down because of it.

Praying that your outcome is much, much better than ours.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 11:35 AM on Jun. 21, 2009