For non-Christians (edit)

As someone out side the Christian faith what points do YOU feel that outsiders misunderstand or misconsive the most about Christianity??

*This is not a What Do Christians Do Wrong Post - If you wish to tear people down for their faith, go somewhere else...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:00 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I wasn't trying to tear anyone down... I thought you were asking as someone outside looking in, what do I think Christians misunderstand the most about their faith. Sorry if I sounded rude.

I think that other non-Christians misunderstand a Christian's attempt to "convert" them. They think it's rude and overbearing. I really appreciate when someone takes the time out of their day to pray for me or to invite me to church or talk to me about their faith. They would have to hate me a whole lot not to want to try to save me from what they believe I will suffer in the afterlife for not being a Christian.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:03 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• oh yes it is!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I agree with Ati.

I also think that that other non-Christians misunderstand why Christians believe as they do. The more i talk to my Christian friends the better i am able to understand how and why they are able to believe what they do. Even if i dont agree.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:11 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• then how do we handle it when a christian wants to argue that our Gods is not real. I do want to be friends with more christians but I don't know how to take it when some are mean towards my beliefs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• You politely tell them to bugger off. Let them know that you respect their beliefs and their god and expect them to respect yours. That doesnt mean they have to accept your god as real or support your belief system but that means that they cannot tear it down. Let them know that their hurtful words push u further from thier goal of converting you. If they care about u as a friend they will let their godly actions show you why they worship the god of abraham and that way if you ever are interested you will let them know (and will want to let them know).
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 2:03 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• LOL nightowl said bugger LOL
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:16 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I remember a friend of mine asking me if I was going to teach my son to have a 'free mind' or some such thing. I said, "No! I used to have one of those, it was terrible!" He said, "You used to have a free mind, and then you became a Christian?" (we've had this conversation before, just not about the baby) and I said, "Yep! I don't worry about that stuff anymore." He was baffled by my utter uncaring and peace, and I left him that way. I worry about me and my actions, those around me will see it and want it for themselves. I don't worry about what others think (well, I'm not perfect, but I DO try). I don't like it when Christians do terrible things, or go knocking on doors, or tell people they're going to hell--it gives the rest of us a bad reputation. If you're following Christ, you're not doing those things. You aren't worried about that stuff, just about serving Christ.
    Llamatron

Answer by Llamatron at 2:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• For me, it's the "The devil has you blind" bit that always gets me. I always get the picture of a little kid in the corner laughing at the chaos he caused at school. And there are so many different interpretations to the bible that it is hard for us outsiders to figure out what they believe.
    And the one that really gets me is when a Christian starts out with the "your going to hell" bit from the get go. Most don't realize that most non-Christians have at least HEARD about the bible and what it says.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 9:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• The most common misunderstanding that most non-christians have about Christians.. is what they consider to be judgment vs. what a Christian considers judgment..

because of a few bad apples, most non-believers have their feathers up already when even a Good Christian comes to them to spread the word.

I know that's how I felt today when the JW's came to my house.. I was immediately at the defense, even before I could really see who was at the door, because I thought they came to spread the word... and although that was their mission for most of the neighborhood.. I know these ladies personally, and they were visiting more on a personal level than a spiritual level, because I was good friends with the one ladies granddaughter, and my grandmother had attended church with them.. I sort of felt ashamed at my first thoughts.. but thankfully did not make a fool of myself (by displaying my first thoughts) when I answered the door.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:39 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Soft. Soft and wussy.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:15 PM on Jun. 19, 2009