Ever find something someone dropped/left behind and kept it?

Jewelry/small bag with something in it? Just kept it without finding the owner or giving it to management?

I once found a BEAUTIFUL emerald ring with diamonds around it. It was on a package of meat in the meat dept. at the local grocery. I looked around, and apparently it slipped off some womans finger.

I then thought,"OK who is watching me? Is this a hidden camera thing where a news station was doing a segment on HONESTY?"

I picked it up and thought this could be some ones deceased family members rings, a meaningful gift and I would hope if I lost something this expensive some one would turn it in whether it fit their finger or not!

I walked to the Office and asked if anyone reported a ring missing and they said NO. I said,"Im sure some one may call for this." She then said, If they don't in 90 days you can come claim it being you turned it in.

I never did.....Id feel guilty.

Would you be as honest?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well my only thing about that is who would take it after the 90 days if you don't claim it? Some grocery store employee would be bagging your stuff wearing this beautiful ring you could've been wearing! But for reall I wouldn't be able to do it either!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Just to add......I expected a news team with hidden cameras to come out to say I was the only honest person.......ask why didn't I just take it and pawn it...etc.

I was raised if it isn't yours, don't steal it. I DO admit Ive found a few dollars here and there on the ground outside before and kept that, but not this ring.

OP here---------Here is a link to the ring I found.......... it was exactly like this one here, but the one I found did not have the little diamonds on the band. It was beautiful for sure.

I did a good thing and turned it in......it may have been the only heirloom or jewelry one had to remember a deceased family member by.

http://www.angara.com/shop.do?cID=1957&pID=496138
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I used to work at LAX (Los Angeles Airport) and we had the same rule. If no one claimed it in 30 days you could have it. I had emplyees like you that wouldn't want it and the supervisors would take it home. They would get lap tops, cell phones, Designer luggage with no name on it wtc. The only thing I found and kept was an old Canon Camera, I still have it in my closet.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• OMG! that is creepy, I never typed that wtc at the end! To me wtc means World Trade Center. I have been watching too many ghost clips on You tube.

Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Since I do not trust most employees in stores, especially in management and customer service, I would have held onto the ring myself, given my telephone number to the manager and told them that if anyone calls in within the next 30 days to ask if they lost a ring and if you have it, then have them call me to describe the ring. If they say they would hold onto it, I would say no, that I would hold onto it to be sure that the rightful owner gets it.
    When I got home, I would call the police station and give them a description of the ring I found and where I found it and what I had done and if they get a report for the ring to please contact me so I could bring it in for the rightful owner.
    I would do everything within my power to be sure that something expensive and meaningful was returned to it's rightful owner.
    Also, I would print in the local paper that a ring was found and if they can describe it then it can be returned.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:51 AM on Jun. 19, 2009