my 3yo dd had some weird discharge in her diaper.

we started using powder again because her junk started to smell kind of funny. i thought it was because she was learning to potty and wasnt wiping effectively, so i started putting powder on her after she would pee or poo to get rid of the smell. i think it's from the powder. it looks like phlegm. will it clear up on it's own or need antibiotics. we have family visiting from florida and our schedule is all booked up & she's not complaining. what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• don't use powder; it can cause an infection. use plain cornstarch, if you must use anything.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Is she wiping from back to front? Teach her front to back ALWAYS.

Could be a vaginal infection. She needs to be seen. 3 year olds shouldn't have discharge except for the smegma that all gentials get, and powder doesn't cause discharge. I would definately take her in. Vaginal infections suck, especially when you're 3!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:30 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I think just the initial smell is a sign of poor hygiene. Not trying to be mean, my 16 mo old will get kind of stinky and I just make sure to wipe her little parts really good. I also don't recommend using something (even powder) to make her NOT stink. Fragrances can be irritating to the vagina.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 1:34 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Not to be offensive but is the discharge bloody? If so your physicisan will want to know if maybe someone might be touching her innappropriatly but from your discription it sounds like a vaginal infection.
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 2:11 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• have her soak in a warm bath for awhile and make sure she is cleaning herself (and that you are as well) properly.
    I dont think that the discharge is normal, but I dont know for sure. Some girls get a cottage cheese type build up down there which has a strong odor.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:18 AM on Jun. 19, 2009