How do you "discipline" an almost 1 year old?

My son definitely knows when he is doing something wrong. He understands no and even shakes his head no at me and says "uh uh." (NO idea where he got the uh uh thing from.) He smirks when he is about to get into something like a cord/outlet.
He throws TANTRUMS when he can't reach something he wants and will jump all over you screaming to get something you have. I never give in. I have tried ignoring him, telling him "no fits please" slapping his hand lightly, and moving him into a quiet area. What are other ok techniques for a child so young?
I am desperate not to be one of those moms who every one thinks does not discipline her child.
Other than when he doesn't get his way, he is the happiest and sweetest baby ever!

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 2:41 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Redirection.
    When he starts getting into something you know (and he knows) he should be getting into, give him somethig else to occupy him. You may want to buy some toys specifically for his distraction. Put them up when he is not playing with them and only bring them down when he starts "getting in trouble". That way, the toys will stay "newer" longer.
    You may also try "timeout" but instead of putting him in the cornoer or on a bench or whatever. Keep him in your lap.

i would write more but my comp is acting weird.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:48 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• almost one & needing time outs already? aww.. i dont even know what to say. they're too cute to discipline at that age. lol. i think that for now, a firm "NO" like you mean it will have to do. my 1yo gets into all kindsof trouble, but when i say "NO", the poor thing gets her feelings hurt & runs to my arms crying. but thats how things work in our house & might not work for you. try 1 minute time outs or distraction like the above poster suggested. good luck with your LO. =)
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:58 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I absolutely agree with what the last poster said! I am with you, I don't want to be overly permissive, but I love my babies too much to hurt them in order to get the behavior I want. One thing to consider is that at a year old, his understanding is so simple. He is just testing different reactions, causes and effects. Also, their short term memory has just barely started kicking in. Just because you said no once, doesn't mean he remembers that a certain thing is a no today. It takes a lot of repetition to teach babies this age! So yes, redirection, time out in a playpen where he can't get to things for a minute or so, and you can hold him firmly and tell him no. Also, when he has tantrums, whenever possible ignore him and walk away. I did this with my son and it was too funny, because they never lasted longer than a couple of seconds once he realized they didn't work. Good luck!
    wondermeg

Answer by wondermeg at 3:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• It is appropriate to discipline a child over 9 months of age... but discipline does not necessarily mean punishment.... I agree with the first poster: redirection is the most effective way. Explain (as simply as possible) what he SHOULD do, trying to reserve the stern "No" for the things that are absolutely unacceptable (things that will hurt him, things he could break, etc). At that age, you have to physically redirect him a lot -- so your job is to physically move him away from the outlets and show him something else interesting he can do with his time. Move him away from the stairs and show him a toy he likes. Teach him, very "hands on" some things that he can do to make you happy (and show your enthusiasm, interact with him a lot to reinforce the good behavior). It isn't until a bit later that you'll be able to count on your words alone to have the desired effect. Don't worry, they do learn, it just takes time! GL
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:00 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• SPANK him! Don't beat him obviously, but spank him. That child is going to hurt himself if he thinks its funny to disobey you and play with cords and outlets. Much better for him to feel a little sting on his behind for a minute then to get an eletric shock! And it works when they are little! When my brother and I were little my mom didn't have to spank more than twice about the same thing and we didn't do it again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Oustanding love said to give him some special toys only when he is misbehaving to keep him occupied? Isn't that just teaching him that whenever he disobeys and does something he isn't suppose to he gets a special toy to play with? That sounds more like it would encourage him to act up not like it would help him listen to you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• When you hit a child, you are sending the message that sometimes hitting is ok and can solve a problem.
    We started baby timeouts at around 9 or ten months; we would hold her on our lap, and softly count backwards from 20.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Spanking is a temporary solution. It may stop the undesired behavior AT THAT MOMENT, but it doesn't teach your child anything.

Redirection is best.

When you child has a tantrum, don't react. Walk away. When he sees he is not getting the attention is is seeking, the tantrum will stop.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2009