how do i prevent getting engorged?

so im not breastfeeding anymore, now im just pumping, for personal reasons..but now i need to stop all together and i wanted to know whats the best way to go? to just stop cold turkey? or is there a way to gradually stop producing milk?

MaciesMommy09

Asked by MaciesMommy09 at 2:42 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ive heard of wrapping big ace bandages around your chest really tightly to help stop milk production and Ive also heard it really hurts cause you get engorged and thats painful enough then when you dont get to ever let it out it really hurts....hope you find something that works
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• i dont know of any ways.. maybe pump less frequently, like once or twice a day until you gradually dont need to anymore. it does hurt, but they look oh-so-nice. lol
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:51 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• use cold cabbage leaves it will dry you up if you change them frequently. its amazing
    redivy

Answer by redivy at 2:53 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Please don't tie your breasts! That could lead to an infection. I agree with rAbella, that it's important to cut down gradually. If you were only pumping once or twice a day you don't need to do anything. Some fullness is fine, but if your breasts get overly full pump just enough to make yourself comfortable.
    cookingmanager

Answer by cookingmanager at 3:10 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Wrapping or binding or anything like that can cause terrible infections so please don't do it. Just drop pumping a pumping session every other day and put some cold cabbage in your bra.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:06 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• I just pumped less and less. I would try to wait an extra half an hour, and then an extra hour, and then an hour and a half, etc... until I didn't have to anymore. I had to wear pads for about 2 weeks but thats not bad. I would pretty much empty them when I did pump. Not cuz I wanted to encourage production obviously but becuase it hurt not to! But still putting the time between them worked pretty good. Good luck!
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 9:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2009