Hair loss after birth??

My son is three months old and I was expecting hair loss after my pregnancy; however, it just started happening. and it is coming out in handfuls. I have always had super thick hair but my pony tail went from being as round as a half dollar coin to smaller than a quarter and I'm still shedding. Is this much rapid hair loss normal? It's only been two or so weeks and my hair line looks like my husband's. You know, balding almost at the sides.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Health

• You normally lose about 100 hairs a day.  When you are pregnant the hormones prevents that natural loss which is why your hair looks and feels thicker than normal.  After you give birth you play catch up and all the hair that you would have normally lost starts coming out and gives the appearance of excessive hair loss.  It is perfectly normal.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:07 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• yeah its normal.. :d it'll all grow back.. trust me! lol
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 3:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• yep its normal my daughters 6 1/2 months old an im still going threw it it sucks. :[
    redivy

Answer by redivy at 3:39 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• my son is 7 month and my hair is starting to get thick again, but i had the same problem
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 4:05 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• Very normal at about 2-3 months PP. A lot of women don't lose hair during pregnancy like they normally should and after giving birth the body releases all that hair. Did your hair get thicker during pregnancy? If yes then it is very normal to lose it in handfuls after birth. I used to have to clean the shower drain every 3 minutes or so during my showers!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• yes it's normal....it will start growing back when your LO is about 6 or 7 months. It sux. I actually had bald spots and a LOT of clogged shower drains. IT will come back =)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:03 AM on Jun. 19, 2009