should I make them or just sell manufactored ones?

I was wanting to make slings and sell them on line and in the community (I live in a military community). But I have been pondering whether to make them myself (love the creative part of it) or be a vendor for already established sling companies such as maya wrap, moby wrap and so on.
My thought was to make some slings geared towards the military community w/ the different company specialties on it..such as blackhawks, chinooks & so on.
I was going to sell online and be an LLC company. But I just finished reading an article from a WAHM that makes slings & it's discouraging. You need to be insured and it costs about $1K & and then there are so many other WHAMs doing this business...
So what do you think? Should I make them and sell them or should I consider selling the manufactured ones?

Oh and do you think being in a military community would increase the amount of either type of product sold?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on Jun. 19, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Or should I just forget about the idea completly?

I really have this inner feeling of needing to do something, like there is something missing. This is the first thing that I have been half way interested in since i was a child, im 29 now with a 12 wk old, and I just thought this would be a decent way of doing something for me that I would be good at and sharing something I really love (having baby in a sling right w/ me and comfy and Happy).

Idk......maybe there is something else out there that I could make and sell and would not have to consider liability and insurance for over a thousand dollars (way high for start up costs)...any ideas on that as well?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:47 AM on Jun. 19, 2009

• You might want to post on a WAHM board where there are people who sell such times. one such board is at www.wahmservices.com/community/ There are others. I'd post the question there. You're not going to get rich with most small WAHM businesses but you might make extra money. I think the military them is a good one. Have you tried selling your items on the base to other mothers?
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 4:56 PM on Jun. 19, 2009

• no i havent gotten to sell anything yet. my dh is deployed rigt now so i left the duty station until mid August. i just did a bunch of research/reading and apparently insurance for this type of product/business can cost 1,000-10,000 dollars. And it would be important to have my behind covered just in case something happened and the person decided to sue. i think I will definantly take your advice and check some of the WAHM boards. Thank you
    Anonymous

• Okay maybe I'm a bit clueless, so i'm going to ask. When you say slings do you mean baby slings for moms and dads to wear and hold the baby or something else? There may be a few moms out there making such a thing, but I think making your own, as long as it's done correctly and safety standards are followed I think handmade ones would be much better to sell. Mainly because you can use specific patterns that manufacturers don't use and personalize them. You can probably find general liability much cheaper than quoted. We have a completely different business, carpet cleaning, but our GL insurance is $500 a year, and has $1million in coverage.

I would recommend being a sole proprietor rather than an LLC. And not only could you have a retail website for these but you can attempt to sell them wholesale to stores as well as do craft shows and trade shows. You may be able to sell them in local consigment shops as well!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:16 PM on Jun. 20, 2009

• Start by writing your business plan (it sounds like you have not taken this first step). Once you have your "roadmap" laid out, you will have a better idea of it's viability, and you will be able to start looking at financing. You still won't be committed to anything, and you will have enough information to make an intelligent decision.
    Let me know if you have any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:49 PM on Jun. 20, 2009